Supercharging Issues - Updated

one (or two) check(s) on the pinking (& to some extent lumpy idle)... you are running on super unleaded? Is/are your coilpack' date=' plugs (worth a clean anyway) and Lambda all good..????

I am currently running on standard unleaded at the mo, does it matter?

I checked the coilpack, plugs and replaced the HT leads, just to be certain. What would be an indication or test to prove the Lambda?

What do you have in your charger catch can???? Is it full... The kit no longer supplies a catch can, so I am looking into getting my own solution for that!

Just for idiots guide here as we wanna be sure mate.... :D

Air filter

MAF

Charger

Throttle body

My setup is as above, I have checked, doubled checked all of the pipework.

As above keep the faith you'll get there... ;) Then woo Hooooooooooo - Thanks, each step gets me closer to positive boost.

[/quote']

Fuel yes mate as you have upgraded it needs that - only full fat fuel from now on ;)

Pop one plug out at a time clean re-gap it then hold it (with pliers) against the block and have a mate turn over quiclkly.. looking for a good blue spark on each.. or swap with a mate and see if there is any difference

Lambda is usually a code so just check it.. as you're looking/focussed alswhere easy to miss a new code

Hope it helps...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 4bar on mine I'm sure it's correct but worth a check with United as we're checking everything..

United defo stated 3bar FPR.

There is a VERY long email conversation between us stating which hardware to use.

Cheers United. its there a setting range or output I should be expecting?

At idle, fuel trim should hover around 0. Make sure that in box 4 on block 99, that lambda control is active.

Response from VF regarding my charger and boost

Hello Martin,

The engine should go into positive pressure almost immediately.  But, the boost will not be at it's maximum until the rev limit.  For example 8 psi at 7000 should mean about 2-4 psi at 3500.

Another day another fault

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

14-10 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded - Intermittent

I thought before before taking the throttle body off, just check for fault codes and there it is.

So throttle body off, give it a good clean with carb or brake cleaner, then back on and throttle body adaptation.

Another day another fault

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

14-10 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded - Intermittent

I thought before before taking the throttle body off' date=' just check for fault codes and there it is.

So throttle body off, give it a good clean with carb or brake cleaner, then back on and throttle body adaptation.

[/quote']

TBA is OK according to vag.com, I will test the lambda next

Decided to move the MAF further away from the charger, so I bought some 1 meter 2ply air ducting. I have also bought new t-bolt clamps and 19mm blanking plug to block off the crank house pipe inlet on the charger inlet pipework. The crank house breather is to be plumbed to the passenger side oil catch.

Block 99

99' date='0,General Engine Data

99,1,,Engine Speed

99,2,,Coolant Temp

99,3,,Lamda Regul.

99,4,Lamda Reg.,Oper.Mode

[/quote']

I checked vag.com yesterday evening a few times but could not find the above as block 99 did not exists in vag.com

I found the below groups

004 - Lamda

006 - Fuel Trim

009 - Air Mass Data

The edition of vag.com used is 908.1 and this is only supported software for the cable revision number.

I also could not find Lamda Reg.,Oper.Mod anywhere sorry.

I will revisit this step once I move the MAF,, blank off the crank house breather and air filter. I am hoping that this sorts out the issue.

I will be honest, I am now not 100% sure that the engine is pinking as it may be tappets related. Though I did not have the issue before! Would changing the cams and oil cause the sound to start?

Anyone near you with a proper RossTech lead and the latest copy of VCDS?

Tappet noise is persistent, pinking is engine load related.

Moving the MAF away certainly helps. I had quite a long section of ducting under the wing, but I was on OBD1 and needed to keep the MAF horizontal. OBD2 seems less fussy about orientation but OEs do fit MAFs at certain angles for a reason though. Does your MAF have the air straightener fitted still?

Anyone near you with a proper RossTech lead and the latest copy of VCDS?

Tappet noise is persistent' date=' pinking is engine load related.

Moving the MAF away certainly helps. I had quite a long section of ducting under the wing, but I was on OBD1 and needed to keep the MAF horizontal. OBD2 seems less fussy about orientation but OEs do fit MAFs at certain angles for a reason though. Does your MAF have the air straightener fitted still?

[/quote']

Hey Kev, I've got latest version of the VCDS 10.6 but the cable is 908 of which shows the cable but cannot detect the car.

So I have noisy tappets then, can this be caused by changing the cams and engine oil?

I hope me moving the MAF helps tbh. Not sure what a air straightener is tbh?

Hmmm, changing oil and cams won't cause the tappets to go into meltdown..... did you make sure the little green O ring didn't drop out of the chain cover? This would be the section the tensioner bolt screws into. Without that little O ring, your chains won't tension properly and that will make a deathly racket....