My latest VR6...Auto kickdown Issue? Any advice appreciated!

Gooday All!

Recently brought an Auto vr6, 1997, 113k, full history.

Was out on Friday, and though I would give the kickdown a try (not that I am too fussed about nailing the car/using kickdown on a regular basis) and noticed that it can be a little dleayed, or possibly slipping? Seems ok from 1st, 2nd...but 2nd to 3rd can have a little delay or hold off?

The car drives fine - no knocks, bangs etc etc...and the previous owner was a reserved chap who had owned it for 10 years - and it would seem the carpet/mat had been obstructing the kickdown button until I actually adjusted this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Things I guess it could be are a kickdown adjustment, throttle cable, fluid change, a sensor etc etc... The list goes on. In the worst case scenario, does anyone know how much a rebuild/replacement box will be if it goes pop? :)

Thanks in advance

Matt

Try disconnecting the battery for a while, some say 20 minutes will do - overnight if possible. Then let it idle for 15 minutes without touching the pedals. Did this to mine and it was like a new motor was put in afterwards. Cheapest way first, then check levels if you've got a dipstick (I don't think later cars have them tho), get the ATF and filter changed, or replace unit with a good one from a breaker (£100+ ish) or have it reconditioned - pricey £500+.

The actual kickdown is built in to the throttle cable just as it goes through the bulkhead passenger side it has nothing to do with the peddle try adjusting the cable as it goes through the grommet on the top of the cam cover under a plastic cover this should take up the slack in the cable.

a recon is £950 inc torque converter , ive done alot of research into it.

try adjusting the kickdown by turning the bit near the bulkhead either clockwise or anti-clockwise. To change the filter and seals cost me £55 in parts from the dealers. When changing the fluid you'll have to keep on topping it up after the car has run because it takes a while for the system to circulate and fill with ATF and just be carefull to keep all parts clean

Thanks! Took her for a drive at the weekend for a proper test...and it only occurs from when going from 1st>2nd on kickdown..and does not happen when using manual selection i.e 1,2,3.

Will try what you guys have suggested, but for now..it does not bother me too much - I enjoy the gentle drive of the car off of kickdown, and if ever need a bit of poke I guess I can use the manual selection.

Ok, update - I have done all the 'resets' and this is still occuring - but after doing some more research it does seem like on kickdown the car enters 'neutral' for a few seconds, then grips the gear and takes off! It would seem this is the sign of bad ATF - a will look at doing a fluid flush and change and will not be using kickdown anymore in the meantime!

If anyone knows someone near me (Berkshire) who can perform the fluid change, it would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

An update - it actually does not seem any better with the fluid change, although I suppose a positive was that the fluid that came out of the box was actually quite clean with no visible signs of wear or contaminents.

Its going to get fault code read this week, as the problem is pissing me of a little! The car drives fine, all gears select fine, hit top gear and kicks down fine on motorway, but have noticed that this seems to be a problem when around town...on inclines/declines, and when throttling into a corner.

If the fault code reader shows up nothing I will be looking for a new auto box, or getting mine re'coned. If anyone has any idea on the price of this, or a specilaist it would be great!

Cheers

Matt