[moved] useable BHP

What is a realistic useable BHP figure for a front wheel drive car? A lot of people think that anything over 300bhp and the car struggles to get the power down, and will just spot on the spot and crab sideways. So whats everyones opinion? Especially interested in those with the power!!!!!!!

It all depends on how you put the power down through the front wheels and there is a lot that can affect it. "Urgency" and torque play a big part along with tyres, suspension etc, etc... Peak bhp can be achieved as a "number" over usable torque. BHP for show, torque for go....

i had 380 bhp and managed to get the power down ok ish ... but i did have an LSD gearbox and R888s on the front so that did help but anything over that would be hard to get grip ....

What had you done to get that sort of power then Tony?

So How do you get useable torque over big bhp? I would like a sub 5 second car' date=' but this might not be practical for a front wheel drive car.

What sort of mods would be best for torque?

[/quote']

Progressive NOS? Or a supercharger? Both should give useable torque, and also good bhp figures.

Wouldyou rather have n/a, turbo, charger or nos? After deciding what you would like there are the builds on the forum to point in the right direction with both Jims and Kevs being very informative for turbo and there is loads of info on charging. 3.2 instal is an option and there are 2 of those recently. Budget will play a part in what you get so I would start with that and work from there.

It's going to be a LONG term project, as I have to use the car daily. So what I intend to do is to gather the bits I need for the engine, then when I've got everything, I'll do the conversion. The wheels brakes suspension etc will be done over a period of time. The engine will be the last thing to be done. I'll be able to decide on my route that way. I had thought about a supercharged 3.2 unit, but I don't want too much power that I can't use it!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a supercharged standard engine with 2.9 block and lower compression pistons to cope with the boost. Whatever I do, it needs to be reliable as possible.........

i had 389 bhp and 380 lfbt of trq, no lsd , and ran a 12.56 at the pod.. it s all about throttle , and balance . at snetterton , mine and craggsys cars were very close, with me just pulling on the straights , but him closing in the corners

it is usable and mine was driving every day, it also returned low 30's on a run and mid 20's around town.

track mpg was 8-9 .

mine ran schimmel cams, 440 injectors, united motorsport ecu , united motorsport 3" system . etc ..

i had 389 bhp and 380 lfbt of trq' date=' no lsd , and ran a 12.56 at the pod.. it s all about throttle , and balance . at snetterton , mine and craggsys cars were very close, with me just pulling on the straights , but him closing in the corners

it is usable and mine was driving every day, it also returned low 30's on a run and mid 20's around town.

track mpg was 8-9 .

mine ran schimmel cams, 440 injectors, united motorsport ecu , united motorsport 3" system . etc ..

[/quote']

I'm guessing you were running a charger of some sort? What level of boost did you have? Have you got a build thread? Finally what was your 0 - 60 time?