Test driving an Audi RS6

Last week I got sent a letter from Audi, it says "as one of our most valued customers" (even though I have never bought anything from Audi) "we would like to invite you to take a test drive in the model of your choice"

So I phoned up to make an appointment and when the lady asked me what car I want to drive I asked for an RS6, she said "I'm not sure if we have one of those.....what car do you currently drive?" I told her it's a '98 Golf VR6, she said she will get someone who knows what cars are available, to call me back. The manager phoned me back and said "We don't have one of those in stock but we can get one from another dealer and have it here next week for you." He asked me if I'm going to buy it this week? I said " No, I'm just taking the opportunity that you offered me but I am THINKING about getting a new car soon and the RS6 is what I want".

The next day they sent me my Audi Platinum card. I don't know what it's for but it looks cool. It's the size of a credit card, made from brushed stainless steel with Audi Platinum embossed on it.

So yesterday I went to drive it. 5L V10 FSI Twin Turbo. This one had a remap to over 700bhp. As standard they have 571 bhp and 650 newton meters of torque.

Now I know what it's like to drive a rocket!

If anything it was too fast. You put your foot down and before you have had a chance to enjoy the acceleration your going too fast and need to slow down before you lose your license.

The best bit was the noise it makes during the gear change. The car squirts a bit of petrol into the exhaust during the gear change and that ignites in the exhaust and makes the most awesome growling noise. Audi do that just for the aural pleasure.

Now I really want to stick a Turbo on my VR6. I need a car that goes that fast. I'm thinking that I would need about 450 bhp in the golf to be something similar to the RS6. A VR6T is much more affordable than the £75,000 Audi RS6

I read that somewhere before I went to drive it. I don't know how accurate the information was. It was some review on a web page somewhere.

but the growl it made when it changed gear was awesome. I don't know what made it make that sound but it sounded like what it described in the review with the squirt of fuel. Maybe I got it wrong and it is some flappy thing but it sounded good what ever it was.

jeremy clarkson said that about the RS5 on top gear

lol yea along with "this thing runs on diced lions", dont belive everything you hear.

i also remember hearing about the fuel injected into the exhaust, cant remember if it was on top gear? or

if i read it? anyway blinding motor :)