Hey all,

Do you really need this if you go forced, if so what BHP is the guideline?

I have spoken to quite a few people running Vortech or VF chargers and they are running standard compression.

I am looking at Rotrex or Turbo!

Rotrex or turbo you will definetly need one. If you get an instance of boost spike without without a head spacer say good buy to your engine. I have both arp bolts and headspacer for sale if your still intrested.

Good point guys thanks for helping.

Hey Jim I am still looking at the turbo option will try to catch up tomorrow with my shopping list, tbh there's not a lot in it between supercharging and turbocharging for around 300bhp, as you said it really depends on the turbo e.g. an original Garrett or Chinese special.

I am also thinking about Sparkz turbo lump or the V3 charging kit.

My only reservation on the v3 is that its only 76% efficient compared to Rotrex which is 96%. More power.

mm, vortech.. me personally i dont like them , but im spoilt having had a nice vr6 turbo before.

id always go turbo, as it easier to ring more power out of it.

having said that the rotrex chargers are becoming more affordable and give good results

Hey Martin

Forget standard compression and boost mate! Get that spacer onboard :-)

There's a lot of bullschitt on the Vortex about stock compression and 10, 15, even 20psi of boost. Don't believe a word of it and certainly do not follow their lead!

On the subject of spacers and compression ratio's... standard being 10:1 if i remember correct, does what boost your running have a part to play in how thick the spacer and therefore how low the compression will be? is there a safe ratio for 90% of turbo builds?

with my build, i will be running at 7psi (to start with) on 8.5:1 ratio, that being a 3mm thick spacer.

Id also like to jump in on this if i may.(rather than start a similar thread)

I will be popping a vr6 into my car with the intention of sticking a supercharger on it,it will be a low miles engine that i will be building from the bottom up.Id rather not use low comp pistons if the head spacer will work.

My question is,im wanting to put the engine in and get it running and drive it while i collate the rest of my parts for FI.

When im rebuilding it out of the car i would have preffered to put the spacer gasket on then.If i was to drive it with this,but without forced induction would it have a detrimental effect on my engine?Massive loss of power,running too lean etc?

Many thanks.

The only charger that doesn't need compression lowering is the Vortech V9, mainly because it's pretty small and comes in very progressively.

For turbos and rotrexes, I would go straight to 8.5:1

8.5:1 with a turbo / charger is fine 'off boost'. 8.5:1 with no charger or turbo will feel a bit flat low down but a lot more timing can wake it up again, but that needs a remap.

• 2 weeks later...