would you use this service ?

If there was a place local to you, that rented out time and space on ramps, a bit like a DIY Kwik Fit. Which for an hourly rate of say a tenner, allowed you to get to the underside of your car and do all those jobs you end up laying in the road to do.

With on site technical help in case you got stuck, and tools that you dont have in your own collection, available to borrow, rent however you wish to phrase it.

Would you be interested in using such a place.??

On a turn up, use and go basis.

I would use something like - be really handy for changing oil etc - I can drip it all over your floor and not my drive! B) Just kidding! Its a good idea, it'd be really handy I think.

£10 an hour seems quite reasonable, I'd be a bit reluctant to pay anymore than that though to work on my own car etc but depends on the situation & what Im doing to it cos I could be there for hours.

Also, as binliner said - being able to book a time would be good.

[ Edited Wed Feb 16 2005, 02:20PM ]

this would be a good idea, i wish i could have had the use of this sort of thing when doing the work on my car, but my car has been sat there for about 4 weeks so £10 per hour isnt really worth it, if you done it on a permanent basis, ie a rented are for say a week for like £100 that would be a good idea also.

This is a top idea that I wish was available as I could do some of the work myself rather than pay a mechanic to do it!

I read about the one in Scotland and thought it was a really good idea. Any more than £10 an hour would be pushing it a bit though.

It's uncanny, I was talking to my Father the other week about starting exactly the same sort of business. There's no doubt that it could be very profitable if done right. As a customer, I would definitely use such a service and know many other people that would too.

There would even be interest from mobile mechanics who currently have to turn down potentially profitable jobs due to lack of workshop facilities.

There are not may people out there doing this. I imagine this is beacuse injury liability concerns put most people off. There's no reason why it should - you would simply get all your customers to sign a liability waiver, just like the owners of a racetrack do when you want to take your car for a thrash on their tarmac!

[ Edited Thu Feb 17 2005, 12:45AM ]