Hi guys, me again, think I am going to shoot my car!! or kick it maybe!

Ok month or so back was having probs withs, missin, black smoke, and irratic idle ~:(

Had it diagnostic tested, and it came up that the car was doing 49kilometer per hr, when it was not movin, and also no voltage from lambder probe.... %-6

Next day I was at the Scottish meet, and she was running v bad! !ill :o chuffed out black smoke and ran on 4 for ages, spat out flames etc..

I fitted a lambder probe a couple of days later, and also have fixed a couple of air leaks.

My fuel comsp has gone from 18mpg to 33mpg! so its deff better... No black smoke ( as I cleaned the plugs when fittin the lambder ).

But every now and then I get a huge gerk like the fuel is being starved and then loads going in? could there be an air leak I have missed? or could this be something else. still have a bit of irrectic idle as well?!

PS. havent had ECU reset yet, getting this done at the weekend? Also I have an induction kit, could this be causing probs? :)

i know how you feel....vr6's are very disheartening when they're not working right.

i don't get why it was thinkin it was doing 49kph when it was at a standstill, never heard of that before!

i'd certainly check the bay for split vacuum hoses as i had similar symptoms when one of mine got burnt by the manifold (it was the one to the left of the TB).

Three things I'd do, change fuel filter, easyish job not too expensive. Get someone to check your MAF, some 'oiled' induction kits can cock the MAF up. Most importantly check your ISV (do a search on here) out and give it a clean, can cause all manner of running problems.

i know how you feel....vr6's are very disheartening when they're not working right.

i don't get why it was thinkin it was doing 49kph when it was at a standstill' date=' never heard of that before!

i'd certainly check the bay for split vacuum hoses as i had similar symptoms when one of mine got burnt by the manifold (it was the one to the left of the TB). [/quote']

Have replaced that one, as it was burnt, will check it again!

Three things I'd do' date=' change fuel filter, easyish job not too expensive. Get someone to check your MAF, some 'oiled' induction kits can cock the MAF up. Most importantly check your ISV (do a search on here) out and give it a clean, can cause all manner of running problems.[/quote']

Have changed fuel filter, cleaned ISV and also the MAF, and also the throttle body,the induction kit is not oiled, I cleaned it throughly when I got the car. I have only done 3000 miles since I got the car

Ok im about ready to cry as the car is running really bad again!!

Black smoke, missing, and doing about 12 mpg, cant get hold of the guy to reset my ECU! surely it could not be just because of that?!

I love my VR6 but am getting sick of it now!! also just had to do 2 rear springs, wheel bearing and need some paint work touched up!

The plugs looked ok once I had cleaned them. but they must be black again, could this be a more serious running problem other than a sensor, probe or ECU prob......?

99% certain it is your fuel pump. What normally happens is the seals between the pump and the housing it resides in rot away. This allows the pump to cavitate as there is not enough fuel around the pickup. The ecu attempts to compensate for the low volume of fuel by increasing the injector duty cycle. When this gets worse, you will begin to knock under load. I've run into this numerous times.

R

To check, remove the access cover inside of the hatch. You then need to remove both fuel lines and the 5" diameter locking ring. Pull upwards on the cap (plastic ring which the fuel lines attached to) and extend the interior fuel hoses. To remove the pump, simply rotate the pump 1/4 turn counterclockwise and lift out of the tank. To install, note that one of the locking tabs on the fuel pump botton is smaller than the other 3. Place over the lock ring inside of the tank and rotate 1/4 turn clockwise. Also be certain that the fuel hoses inside of the tank are not obstructing the level sending unit.

R

Not had time to check pump yet but have checked the cylinders compresion, and its a ok! thank god.. its all betwwen 175psi and 185psi ( 12-13bar approx )...

But took my plugs out to clean again last night and remembered something, when I got the car the spark plugs were single tipped, and I changed them, with plugs I bought from VW, which were double tipped...

The ones in the car are 101 000 035 AB ( VW number ) , but it says in my manual they should be 101 000 025 AA..

not sure if the picture in the manual is correct but it shows a single tip and says to ajust the gap to 0.7mm. but the doulbe tip are none adjustable and the gap is at least 1mm at the mo...?

Do you think all these probs could be because VW gave me the incorrect plugs?

another thnig when i called VW for new plugs the other day they said £60 for plugs I only paid £25 for these ones off the same VW garage? makes me think more they are wrong ones...