VSR / VGI Owners - post your experiences impressed or depressed?

well, maybe I'm just the voice of reason here! ;) but I'm just unsure........

You know, I got a right old blasting off them on the cgti forum (and others) for spending £2500 on a SC kit that "only gave me 70bhp" (yet I could have spent £3500 on a Turbo and got double this) - yet here we are looking at buying a £1000 bit of kit that, as far as I can see, doesnt give you any more BHP (maybe 5 or 6 up top like a filter and exhaust maybe), it just makes the car a tad more torquey lower down......! Go figure!

How many of you have actually driven one? How quiet will this thread be when you've all spent your £1000 and your car is still slow?

So sell it to me then - do your saleman stuff!

Jules

[ Edited Wed Mar 03 2004, 12:06PM ]

I've never heard of anyone who's got one and doesn't recommend it! There's always a s/c vs. turbo debate but I never heard anyone cast doubt on the benefits of a VSR. Even PhatVR6's car was n/a but had a schrick, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

i think you'll find the main bonus of the vgi is that although there is only a modest gain in top end power, there is a significant low down gain in torque. so instead of having to keep the revs over 4k, the bulk of the power comes in upto 1500rpm earlier.

Ok - dont get me wrong, any benefit in low down torque is not to be sniffed at - I've been looking at these things for ages - I've got a stack of jpegs of them from every angle.

But what I dont have is a before and after torque graph from a standard VR6.

Anyone?

Jules

Not unless they're lying:

"The Schrick manifold in combination with Schrick 268° camshafts is hard to beat. We tested a 1997 GTI VR6 on a Dyno-Jet® and the results are impressive: 195hp at the wheels. Compare that to a typical A3 VR6 in stock form making about 140 hp at the wheels. The car was equipped with a Schrick manifold and 268° camshafts, Autotech SportTuned Exhaust, K&N panel filter and Autotech Q-Chip."

Difficult to say about the Schrick VSR gains as originally this was the last mod I was going to do, then I could give a clear verdict.

At the time the VSR was added, some Schrick 268 cams found a new home & the head got polished. I know all this made the car responsive throughout the rev range, the performance was another 5mph faster on the Lavant straight at Goodwood

One thing I would say is that it tows better!

You know' date=' I got a right old blasting off them on the cgti forum (and others) for spending £2500 on a SC kit that "only gave me 70bhp" [/quote']

lol - they did that to you too?

I've got Schrick 248 cams ready to drop in and admittedly I'm tempted by the VSR group buy.

What puts me off is I'm running on OBD1 at the moment, but I plan on a change to Corrado/Golf Highline later on.

You can't just slap the VSR straight on. Us s/c boys are probably looking at a remap too. So there goes another £500 almost with fitting!

Plus.. I think it's fucking ugly!

lol - they did that to you too?

mate - stick with me - safety in numbers!!! :D

I've got Schrick 248 cams ready to drop in and admittedly I'm tempted by the VSR group buy.

Mina had these cams also - supposed to be the cats conkers for SC apps yes? These are what I'm considering at some point also....

What puts me off is I'm running on OBD1 at the moment' date=' but I plan on a change to Corrado/Golf Highline later on.

You can't just slap the VSR straight on. Us s/c boys are probably looking at a remap too. So there goes another £500 almost with fitting![/quote']

Maybe - not sure - Vince reckons for a stock VR6 with SC, you should be OK as long as you've got the SC chip allready. I think it gets more "complexicated" when you have SC cams installed suppose.

Plus.. I think it's fucking ugly!

egggs-fuggin-actly mate. x) !ill

mind you, I've always thought the VR6 engine as a whole was a bag of spanners to look at. :P