found this in the sump any ideas ??

its such a shame after the trouble i went to with transport etc and the money i spent. he said it was tested twice whilst on the car as it wasnt a right off and it worked fine including going up inclines. what do i do ? I was pretty lucky to find one with the same code wasnt i ?

b road blaster

can you not get a weld run along the crack to "beef" it up a bit

im not sure ,wouldnt heat be an issue for internal components?

UnitedMotorsport Posted:

Both are from crash damaged cars.

how can you tell? i know that the original gearbox was involved in a small crash were someone went side on into the passengers front wing but i dont know about the replacement gearbox

found this in the gearbox sump :( - (the new gearbox i bought ) they are very thin not sure what they are please help ? could it be a gasket or what is it?

1295291006_12192_FT415048_img_7946_.jpg

1295291067_12192_FT415048_img_7951_.jpg

and yeah for the crack it might be worth getting a pro welder to have a look if what i found in sump isnt too serious

Not sure about the debris you've found, is it metallic and is it very hard or soft?

Personally I woulddn't use it with the crack and debris.

Both look like they've suffered impact damage which has stressed them along the same weak point.

its not metalic, its relativly hard but brittle fibre material about 1mm thick and breaks under pressure of a pencil point. what should i do as a new casing is £600 and the parts inside might need replacing. the gearbox is very rare though and cant be referbed as its cracked

The best method for any weld repair s to use the same sort of material and in this cercumstance you have a spare gearbox to cut up for use. TIG welding along a "V" notched into the crack with the other gearbox material should sort it but I don't know what the debris is.

ok im not an experienced welder so might have to get a professional to do it and cut up one gearbox ,untill i know what the debris is a cant make a start because i dont know which box to use. first box has a crack and was getting stuck in one gear after a few hours, id turn it off then on and it would be ok for 10 mins then happen again. second box has debris and a crack...