Took my ecu off today, did it with a hot engine and used a torx no 5...10 min job... removed cover...it looks clean to me and will be sending it to Stu at star soldering Monday...(he uses a magnifying device to look at the joints) will update you...

ps my brake brake light came on the dash last week and stayed on,(operated by handbrake) so there is possible connection between the abs and the handbrake light? Brake fluid levels are ok...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had same problems for about a year, ensured my sensors were clean, were replaced last year, removed ecu abs unit (see start of Finnys thread) and sent it to Stu @ star soldering, who found 5 dry joints (he has a magnifying device to see dry joints easier) plus he redone all the other power ones (see 2nd photo below) and it worked..no more abs light problems..(went out after I drove the car over 15 miles per hour which resets the ecu) well pleased. Posted it on Monday got it back Wednesday, great service for £50....try him....

http://www.starsoldering.co.uk/

MemoryStick7185.jpg

MemoryStick7186.jpg

Many thanks Finny for starting this off!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

its not a bad job to remove the ECU, bit tight with the brake lines coming out under it and you will need to slightly manouver them out the way. got mine out but turns out the ECU has a slight split in it which must be causing the problem so on the prowl for a new ECU now, god knows where to get it from as dont wanna pay VW price for it

I have made the decision to do the ecu job to my vr6. My mechanic is removing the abs ECU thursday night and is being sent of to Stuart @ star soldering, I will update peeps on the thread and let you all know how my one went and hopefully the abs light stays off for gud ! lol

I got an update from Stuart at Star Soldering, my ecu has been repaired and it's on it's way back to me hopefully by Tuesday, and i have been told there was quiet a few "dry joints". So hopefully once reinstalled my abs light goes out.

By the way sorry for hijacking your thread mate.

+ 2 Check its plugged in correctly? no connecting pins bent. So flat cable from pump to ecu and the main ABS ecu block connector (which slides up and in and not pressed in).

You did say you got your mechanic to remove, so I assume he refitted? Are you able to just unplugged and refit yourself?

Failing that you may try and see if you can eliminate if its the actual ECU is still faulty ie try yours in another VR& that uses same pump and ecu part number & vice versa.

its not a bad job to remove the ECU' date=' bit tight with the brake lines coming out under it and you will need to slightly manouver them out the way. got mine out but turns out the ECU has a slight split in it which must be causing the problem so on the prowl for a new ECU now, god knows where to get it from as dont wanna pay VW price for it

[/quote']

The actual ecu pcb has a split? or the hard plastic casing?

Do you know whether ther had there been a previous attempt to repair?

Whats the pump and ecu nr Tim, as I know the later ones were/are quite hard to track down 2nd hand.

the circuit board has split, not sure if it was me trying to get the dam thing open, it hadnt appeared to interfere with any of the soldering points, but dont wanna take the risk with sending it off and paying when it may not work again. Dave on here says he has a few spare so taking mine back out tonight to see what the part no. is!

Did you 1. Disconnect your battery to reset fault codes 2. Drive car over 15 mph to reset abs ecu? my light stayed until I carried out the above...re handbrake light, it also comes on if brake fluid is low, just temporarily disconnect the connector plug on the cap....

Did you 1. Disconnect your battery to reset fault codes 2. Drive car over 15 mph to reset abs ecu? my light stayed until I carried out the above...re handbrake light' date=' it also comes on if brake fluid is low, just temporarily disconnect the connector plug on the cap....

[/quote']

Have not tried the above before i will give it a go 2mrw and see what happens.

+ 2 Check its plugged in correctly? no connecting pins bent. So flat cable from pump to ecu and the main ABS ecu block connector (which slides up and in and not pressed in).

You did say you got your mechanic to remove' date=' so I assume he refitted? Are you able to just unplugged and refit yourself?

Failing that you may try and see if you can eliminate if its the actual ECU is still faulty ie try yours in another VR& that uses same pump and ecu part number & vice versa.

[/quote']

I am going to check the connections again 2mrw just to make sure, yes my mechanic did the remove and install of the abs ecu, i dont intend to unbolt thing again because my x4 bolts where buggered and was very hard trying to remove them in the first place let alone screwing the bolts back in.

Just for info for others went to main dealer VW to see if i can buy the bolts but they dont sell them separately you have to buy the complete unit which i might add is feckin very expensive !!!

Tbh that is too much headache taking it out and trying in mateys vr then put them back in etc......cant be asked lol