heaters playing up

hey guys n girls, i got a problem with my heaters i recentley done the conversion to my mk2 and its been fine apart from my heaters, they were mint when i did the conversion now they just blow cold, i checked the cables on the heater box, i flushed the matrix and the heater blew warm, but driving home from work last night and they gone cold again does anyone have any ideas what this can be??

cheers daz

looks like i better be doing some pressure testing then, got a little bit of gunk in the filler cap but i thought this would of just been condensation as the engine was stood for about 6 months,also serviced it 2day new oil oil filter plugs etc didnt see any tell tale signs on the plugs,

why would the hd make the heater cold not unless the coolent level has droped below the heater matrix, do the pipes feel warm going to the matrixif so maybe your switch from cold to hot air is broking, or worse head gasket or waterpump playing up, or simply let your coolent level drop

• 2 weeks later...

hey been a coulpe of weeks since i been on here, just a bit of a update, when i remove the heater pipes and flush the matrix put the pipes on they blow warm, but i noticed yesterday the pipe which comes off the cylinder head when squose togeher i can feel air rushing past, now i think the matrix is a place for the air to be caught, this is my theory on the heaters blowing cold,however when i flush the matrix and then take it the car on a good run the heaters blow warm for around 2 weeks, so kinda stuck! i would of thought if it was the head gasket i would be loosing water or burning oil or overheating or a loss of power, i also had it dyno'd on thursday and its running 178.5 bhp atw so its not down on the power,can anyone shed any light at all??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

installed new coolant today and took advice from here to leave the cap off with heaters on full bore in the expansion tackle bubles were riising all the time all of my hoses get hot even the matrix ones my temp reads 90 and fans kick in regular but i still have no heat coming in the car also jsut put a new thermostat and new housing in,can anyone shed any light on this,many thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------