RE: Possible Head Gasket Problems.

Hi All,

This is my first post, so big hi to everyone.

I have an OBD1, 95N VR6, 95K Highline that I have had for a number of years. Problem is that the coolant level is going down rather quickly. I haven't measured the amount exactly but it is quite considerable, say 250ml every 20 miles.

I have replaced the Aux water pump, thermostat housing, radiator and a number of hose clips (to jubilees). I have now noticed some steaming up inside which I presume is the Heater Matrix.

Problem is that I think that I am fixing the symptoms and not the cause.

I have pressure tested the coolant overflow to 1 Bar and could see no obvious leaks, although the pressure was obviously dropping. I also noticed afterwards I had a slight misfire (coolant being forced back into head?).

The coolant hoses do get very hot and very pressured (unable to squeeze together). I also notice that the coolant "pulses" back into the overflow.

The first question really is whether there are any other tests I can run? A friend of mine did a "sniff" test on the coolant with nothing obvious and there is no "mayo" anywhere.

I am pretty sure that this is the head gasket....so the next question is can anyone recommend a reasonable place to take it to be fixed; I am in the Bedford area? Perhaps I should do the chains at the same time?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Frosty

wow another vr in bedford, look out for a golf cl with vr6 markered on the back lol, i got a mate who loves his vr6 in kempston, he will probley do your chains and head gasket for a good price, it is a big job though, send me a PM if you want to get in touch with me or him about it

Head gasket replacing is simple really asking as you have some mechanical knowledge I dido mine and it's fairly straight forward and I didn't have any warpage I just changed it due to doing the engine conversion so it was piece of mind. But as long as you don't move anything once the heads off it will go back on as easy as it came off good luck.