Rough running 'machine gunning' rough idling

Car has been stationary for 2 weeks - started this morning fine - half way through drive to work, noticed it struggling in low revs 1st and 2nd, then clean - back to home this eve, same again only with a couple of noticeable 'knocks' from rear of car and smell of (possibly) coolant?

When idling feels very much like when a 2 stroke engine starts to 4 stroke and 'machine guns'

Any immediate thoughts? Do Golf VR6 have coil packs?

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a coil pack giving me a pretty good light show when sprayed with a mist of water - what are my best options - attempt epoxy repair or replace? Would it be a good idea to replace HT leads and plugs at the same time, and any reccos for good kit?

Check the wee video link:

• 1 month later...

I finally got round to doing the JB Weld hack on my coil pack - it's def better, only the car is still running like a bag of nails - loads of vibration on idle, chugging away like a tractor it is! Struggling to pull like it used to, particularly at low speed - not picking up at all.....

Going to try cleaning the throttle body see if that helps

Meh,,,,,,,,,, :(

it more sounds like to me that on og the ht leads is not sparking pull one of the ht leads out start it see how it sounds if no change then plug it in pull a different one out start it if there is a change with one of them then its that ht lead ! give it ago !

Hi mate

My car has been standing for over a month as well and I start it up every weekend. I am getting the same issue and sometimes the car cuts out completely when revved. Spoke to my mechanic and he said it may just be because its been standing. His advice was to let it stand idling for about 20 minutes and let the car warm up. He said maybe the engine just needs some good heat to solve the problem.

it more sounds like to me that on og the ht leads is not sparking pull one of the ht leads out start it see how it sounds if no change then plug it in pull a different one out start it if there is a change with one of them then its that ht lead ! give it ago !

Spot on - I took each lead off in turn and started her up - 2nd lead off (from left on top of pack) off and it cleaned up instantly - took it for a test drive with the lead off and it flew (like it used to!) - Is it wise to replace the lot, or just replace the one lead? (they were put on at last service last Jan) - the make is BBT - means nothing to me....

I take it I will have to take the engine cover off to replace? Also, is there any damage caused by running it without one HT attached? Cheers!

yes if you run with a ht lead off you will have unburnt petrol going into the cat

this will knacker that as well best get leads from vw or dubpower depends on your budget if its broken down in less than a year they must have been not very good ones

with the right tool you shouldnt need to take the manifold off have you got the tool on the bottom of your bonnet stay