So fitted my coilovers today and got a bit confused set them all to the same adjustment on the threads fitted the front and put them all back together and when it was sat back on the ground one side was higher than the other, so got on and did the back and same there, then went round and adjusted them so they all had the same clearance between the wheel and the arches but i had to wind the coilovers to diffrent levels is this how you are suppose to do it of have i got it all wrong. All forn corners now have about 30mm between the arch and the top of the tyre, centrepoint to the botttom of the arches are all within 2-3 mm of each other

Your suspension needs to 'settle' before you do any final adjustments. In my opinion and from past experience set the coilovers on the front to the same height prior to fitting. Same for the rear, then after a day or so check the heights of them all. The weight of your car needs to act on the coilovers to get it to settle to the right height.

rite have let the coiovers settle and they are all a bit out,front sits 10mm lower at the drivers side and at the rear it sits 10-12mm lower on the passanger side, I set the front ones to the same points when i fitted them and same with the rears is it now a case of adjusting them and does it make any difference that the coilovers will be at different levels on the threads, any help would be appreciated on this guys..

• 2 weeks later...

i was told the same bud have been on now for 4 weeks and still not rite, 10-15mm lower on front drivers side compared the passenger side and rear drivers side is 15 higher than the rear passanger side, thinking of taking them off and going back to lowering springs if i cant get them sorted

Jamex bud, dont know what the problem is i have tried most things i can think of, only way to make it sit level is to adjust them all individually so they sit at the same leve l but then surely it messes the rebound up as they are at different heights so the springs are under different loads

i have noticed tonight that one of the helper springs in not as compressed as the others under load so am thinking this may be part of the the problem but dont know if you can get replacments for them, looks like i will have to get it in some where to have it looked at, got it booked in to have all the tracking done on wednesday so maybe this will help also

Are your top mounts sitting Correctly. ? I had this problem when I replaced my top mounts as soon as I put the car on the ground the passenger was looking like it was on standard ride height. Anyway it turns out my top mount weren't sitting correctly. Hope this helps :)

my brother is using jamex coilovers on his polo and i had no problem fitting them for him. started on the left hand side found the levels he wanted and then measured the distance from the bottom of the shock to the first locking ring and coipied on the other side and has been fine since .... keep them all the same level and give them some abuse through some corners and a couple of weeks they should be fine :s

I recieved an email from jamex today stating that the correct way to set these is to adjust each corner of the car individually and not set the to the same levels and wait for them to settle, as the weight distribution in the car is never even, so that seems the way to go hopefully, Here is a copy of the reply i recieved after asking them about my problem.

All vehicles tend to be like this due to the weight variations throughout the

vehicle, even on standard springs it can be the case but because the problem is

only exaggerated and hence more noticeable after the vehicle is lowered, it

normally goes unnoticed. The correct way to adjust the coilovers is to adjust

them so the car is level, not so they are all set the same. I would recommend

finding a garage with specific experience in fitting lowering kits, as they

should be able to sort this out with no problem for you.