Golf V6 4Motion power increase

I'm new to this site so be gentle, I currently drive a MK4 Golf V6 4Motion.

I would like to increase the car's power by adding a turbo or possibly supercharging it. Can the peeps on here point me in the right direction please.

Here are a few pictures of my car:

Pictures111013-3.jpg

Pictures111011-5.jpg

With the cosworth head and flapped inlet manifold the 24v engines are a good starting point. You can only go to about a bar of pressure with the standard inlet. Depends what sort of power delivery you want. I'm going the Rotrex route over the winter and want to try and keep my standard front bumper if possible. I'm still in the process of researching but got most of the info I need now. Gonna start doing mine in November.

Seriously? Hmmmm..... defo tempted now you've said that.

Got a 2.8 4 mo lump sat in the garage and finding a 24v short runner that fits a Corrado was the only thing holding me back, but now I know the plastic intake can take some boost.....hmmmmmm :-)

If I'm really lucky, all I'll need is a 24V T manifold from ATP and the downpipe will need minimal changes. The management I'll just transfer over as it's standalone.....

Wish I hadn't read this thread now...... LOL!

Have you got a build thread on yours mate? As you sig says, when did that happen? LOL!

When I asked around the answer I got was the standard plastic inlets max out at 1 bar but i'm sure that would depend on power delivery. For a charger there is a benefit in keeping the duel air path inlet and the progressive delivery is easier on the inlet. I would think the turbo application would work better with the single path short runner. There are people i'm sure who could elaborate.

Agreed on the short runner, well, for me personally at least as I'm not a fan of the all or nothing throttle response of the 24V below 3500rpm.

I must say, of all the 24V Turbo stuff out there, I really like the look of the HPA stuff - http://hpamotorsports.com/ft425-special.htm

Going back to the plastic intake, I really doubt that will handle a bar of boost long term, especially from a turbo. Have you seen how much a normally aspirated R32 plenum collapses when you blip the throttle!!

That is the dissapointing thing about the MK4/MK5 engines. They're built down to a price.

Me too! Doesn't fit in a Corrado though :-( Well, it might with some major slam panel fudgery.

I think you should try cams mate. Schimmel 264s :-)

Really tempted by a nice 24V with the shorty intake, 264 cams and GT35R. Keep the peak torque within the limits of the 02A gearbox (around 350lb) but extend the top end!

That's actually a good mate, but it depends how well the resin bonds onto the plastic runners and plenum. I suspect with the heat and constant plenum flexing, the resin will eventually unstick itself from the manifold.

What we need is an ally replica of the plastic one, but the variable runners will prove a little tricky.

• 12 years later...