Well got the VR 2 day so thought what the hell take it for a spin, I was only out for About 10 mins got some petrol noticed water temp light flashin so went strieght home.

When I got back opened the bonnet to find the expansion tank spewing and hissin , the fans had been cuttin in and out. Thinking this was a bit strange remembered the second water pump ( small electric thing) found that had been disconected for some reason so reconnected it .Within a couple of sec's the expansion tank was empty , so topped it up and left it to cool down.

So after a few hours took it out again and temp shot up and after 5 mins or so steam from expansion tank again, I havent checked the levels again yet (to late in the day)

Now i have no idea what could be the problem could be apart from 1 ! and i hope it aint that .

If anyone has any idea's please let let me know.

could be the thermostat not opening properly, slowin the flow of water or water pump, i had same problem bout 2 weeks ago on my vr rado, took the old water pump out and it had 1 and a half of the eight impeller fins left lol water pumps easy to change on these, there is a thread sum where on here bout how to do it

worst case it head gasket, but they aint too bad to change on these engines

Well got the VR 2 day so thought what the hell take it for a spin' date=' I was only out for About 10 mins got some petrol noticed water temp light flashin so went strieght home.

When I got back opened the bonnet to find the expansion tank spewing and hissin , the fans had been cuttin in and out. Thinking this was a bit strange remembered the second water pump ( small electric thing) found that had been disconected for some reason so reconnected it .Within a couple of sec's the expansion tank was empty , so topped it up and left it to cool down.

So after a few hours took it out again and temp shot up and after 5 mins or so steam from expansion tank again, I havent checked the levels again yet (to late in the day)

Now i have no idea what could be the problem could be apart from 1 ! and i hope it aint that .

If anyone has any idea's please let let me know.

[/quote']

If the water light was flashing that indicates low water, so where did it go?

When you got home the expansion tank was hissing, which means the cap is fine as its releasing pressure.

I'd check the colour of the oil in your sump, and on the bottom of the oil filler cap. Milky then yes you h/g has gone.

It could be your h/g as its been driven boilling its head off!

If, when it's plugged in the pump runs for more than 15 mins when the ignition is turned off. The controller (black box with 2 fuses under header tank) is shot. There are around 10 different types of these around so make sure if yours has gone, you get the same part number or the pins on the bottom are in the same place. ((Experience))

Are your carpets wet? My heater matrix went twice in a year which aused the tank to empty but the carpets were wet. If your getting steam from the tank it does sound like head gasket has gone and it's expensive to get it fixed properly with genuine parts. I did mine 3 months ago with new chains and guides (there just about fucked) after 100k and saved around £375 with premium membership (£15) best money you'll spend this year.

No wet carpets and no sign of any previous problems . Looking through history and the engine was rebuilt back in late 2006 quiet alot of major work new head and bottom end and then in mid 2007 engine was instald back in car 98618 on clock then and i got it with 113105 on it so 15000 miles since rebuild all parts new with rebuild so ive no idea now lol