How low to take coilovers sensibly?

Hi Peeps

My jamex coilovers have turned up a few days ago and have the intentions of fitting them in the next couple of days.

Okay what i need some advice on is how low to go on them but sensibly? I have got my original bbs solitdues on the vr6 at the moment and running toyo proxes t1r tyres.

Bare in mind i do have passengers in the back on rare occasions and the weekly shopping in the boot sometimes, and the main think i dont want to be doing is breaking my sump every other day.

Come on guys lets hear your comments and want to see pictures too.

Cheers Team. :-)

well as you have coilies mate then you can have the fun of playing around with them yourself :) :) set them at a height to start with and go from there until your happy with the look and no scrubbing etc - how low depends on a few other variables as to what else you have done to the car how you drive etc and what the roads are like around you ;) !!

would drop it maybe 35-40mm to start with and go from there :)

Just adjusted my front coilies yesturday and the front from ground to arch is 22" the backs are 23" Thats runing the standard BBS VR6 wheels atm. Ive got quite a bit left on the coilies, probs enough to get the splitter touching the ground ;) haha and thats with the helpers stil in place.

I had 4 passengers in the car and it still drove fine, couldnt hear any scrubbing. but the wheels are tucked right in running slight camber.

To add to Bens comments really...

any lower than the 35-40mm drop and everything becomes an obstacle. With jkust the 35mm drop you are still good for speedhumps/curbs/garage forecourts with those jaunty angles as you come off the road etc etc..

Above that and you will be replacing parts (chin spoiler etc) as you wear them through.. subject to your local roads etc

cheers mate. But I will agree with RCF. My front splitter currently has more cable ties than actual splitter material to it.

Multi-story carparks, speedbumps and adverse camber in the road, do result in massive amounts of scrapping, but that always is a by product of a lowered car.

jus fit them and have a play. tbh dont think 30mm is very noticable, think if u wind them down 60 u'll still have fair sized arch gap and enough clearence for speedbumps etc. dont kno wot drop mine is but ive had it like this a year now, covered 16000 miles + and its never stopped me doing anything cos its low - it brought 7 people back from manchester once! . jus take speed bumps slower and cringe in multistories! :D

jus start in about the middle, have a drive and let them settle and see wot u think, if u wanna go up or down u might even get away not taking the wheels off to adjust them - when i fitted mine jacking it up left a big enough archgap to get the spanners in and wind it down. so dont take long. play around till ur happy! jus watch that sump!

im prob not as low as any of the guys here but i run 17s so my car would be about an inch higher off the ground to begin with, i have them just set so theres a finger width between the tyre and arch and have no driveability or clearance issues. The height at the centre (lowest point) of the front splitter is 13cm and at the bottom of the lip on the front jacking points 11cm. All arches are 60cm level.

The way i set mine up was when fitting them get them something like and after a few weeks re adjust them after theyve bedded in. i havent adjusted them since and they havent drooped any more.

Photo075.jpg

I dont have any pics yet. But the locking adjuster on the front is 25mm from the bottom coil.

Sump is 60mm from the floor but I havent heard it scrape. But theres a few marks near the sump plug, but I think thats from the previous owner.

I use mine everyday and it gets in everywhere but with the occasional splitter scrape.

think mines around 90mm. i drive all over luton but try to avoid speed bumps where ever possible, but i can still scrape over them if i have to! its the price you pay for lows!!!

thing is bumps you wouldnt even notice before become a big deal... this is my car parked outsid emy parents house. its not normally this low but because the tyres are in a slight groove that you wouldnt even feel in a normal car it sat on the floor!

Photo0102.jpg