Front end knocking sound

I've got a knocking sound that I can hear when driving slowly over rough ground. I've done the gearbox dog bone mount, front top mounts and bearings and today replaced the front drop links but it is still there. I'll be ordering ARB bushes tomorrow but wondered if anyone had any suggestions or experience of the same. I suppose after the ARB bushes i'll have to do the wishbone ones aswell.

i had a mk4 gt tdi and mine did it and it was the anti-roll baar bushes were shot to pieces' date=' strangely only on 1 side tho ;/

[/quote']

I'm thinking this might be the case on mine. I'll have to get some ordered.

Well I found the culprit today whilst replacing my ARB bushes. Now that my lowered suspension has settled, my ARB was hitting the wishbone as the droplinks were too long. I had no way of getting replacements there and then and to be honest I wasn't about to pay stupid amounts of money for them. So I modified the new ones I already had. They needed 45mm chopped out and welded / strengthened. The hardest part was making the jig to ensure they went back together true.

IMG_0260.jpg

Content with how much needed to be removed and I did check more than once, it was time to mark up everything and scribe some datum lines so that everything would go back together in the correct orientation

IMG_0261.jpg

And then chop it up

IMG_0262.jpg

The cylinder was bought for the grand sum of £3:00 with enough to do about 10 drop links.

Once jigged and welded with the heat cranked up high everything looked straight and true

IMG_0263.jpg

And then the cylinder was welded in place

IMG_0264.jpg

A splash of paint and here's the comparison between old and new.

IMG_0265.jpg

Second one took half as long to do.

hmmmm this thread has made me think,....im waiting t purchase some coilovers....iv got to other mainenance bits,....stilll....planning new wishbones,drop links,disks all round, poss bearing,engine/gearbox mounts. None of this is the stuff uyou want to have to buy as you mentioned i'd rather be spending it on improving :( anyway like i said this thread has just made me think,if im dropping the car on coilovers,will i need shorter drop links???? unsure how low i will be able to drop coilies,....my drive way determines that (inclined bend)