Vortech V3 Charged VR - Breaking

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rough idle issue has been solved. I am getting 8 psi boost.I had the tappets changed and the sound has stopped.

I still have a cold start issue but might be resolved with a new engine coolant temperature sensor.

I am not sure on what problem I may still have Jim? Am I missing something?

Hey Jim agreed there is a problem with torque and power after 5000rpm. Looking at the graph.

I am looking into a forge 007p diverter valve with green spring, 200 cpi magna flow 2.5in sports cat from 42 draft designs and moving the MAF further away from the inlet side of the charger (again lol)

The one thing that I picked up during the mapping session is that the air filter is surrounded in a plastic protective case which is extremely restrictive so I have moved the filter to the passenger side in the recess behind the bumper next to the carbon canister.

I will go for a adjust map in November so it will be interesting to see the results then and to see if the issue has been resolved.

Another update, I decided to change the VDO boost gauge I got from Tony for a Stack one due to being able to see both positive and negative boost.

Whats interesting is that on idle she is -20 and boost is boost lol but when you drop of the throttle, i feel she dumps the boost too easily. I am aware of boost surge but still I think the VF-Engineering DV spring is so weak.

Well another update, I bought a 76mm 90 degree elbow and made a joiner to move the MAF of which works fine and idles even better but..............I took her out for a quick thrash and a bloody stone has popped the air conditioning radiator so I am well pissed off.

Not sure what to do I am thinking delete the air conditioning and install a mocal oil cooler. This allows me to drop some weight and crap from the engine bay.

If you rip of the air con, I still need the blowers. Another forum question.

only comment is you need the idler pulley to add to your charger set up (maybe?) remeber there may be a time when the sun comes out and you need it or you (god forbid) decide to sell up...

ps mocal can go in a couple of places so not an issue with the air con rad anyway.. check out the charger FAQ threads and you will see a discussion on locations in there.. ...

PS sorry to hear about the stone after all this effort to have it working...

More still to come,

Mocal oil cooler,

Remove the air con,

Autotech upper strut brace,

Power coated inlet manifold,

Green stuff pads,

Forge 007p with green spring,

Now that the air intake is sort time to drop her low again, she just seems so high up lol.

Going to also remove the rear door window motors etc..to save on weight. I am also thinking about removing the spare wheel and cutting out the hole and welding this up.

Also going to push the rears out more on at least 10mm giving me an ET of 15 on the rears and 25 on the fronts.

Just an update, I got a Magna flow sports cat with a 2.5in bore so this should fit well with the Jetex.

Had issues with the Stack boost gauge but hopefully this will be sorted tomorrow.

Decided to get a 1m alloy pipe to replace the air ducting behind the VR front splitter.

So connected to the charger inlet pipework I have the below

2 inch silicone joiner 76mm

2 inch alloy hose joiner 76mm

90 degree elbow 76mm

MAF

4 inch silicone joiner 76mm

Air ducting

2 inch silicone joiner 76mm

K&N air filter

Oh and lots of Jaffa tape and zip ties.

This weekend sees the end of the air con.

Hey mate , sorry to ask this in your build thread but need to ask you , when you fitted your charger m where did you plumb your valvecover breather to ? i have just fitted a filter for now till i find out where its meant to go . cheers and best of luck with removing the aircon , alread done mine :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the air ducting with some nice 76mm piping and its so much better. Going to change the spring in the VF recir valve to a forge 007p yellow spring. I am on my 3rd stack boost gauge and finally thats sorted so last thing is get the sports cat fitted and thats me until early next year.

Tweaks to the map will be done in Nov so will post up the results, hopefully I will hit around 285+ bhp and more torgue, who knows lol.

Learn t a good lesson last night make sure you have fuel before going on full chat, VR's dont like to be starved of fuel in 3rd gear and at 6500 rpm.

No damage I hope, forced induction is too addictive.

Oh something Jim had picked up regarding the odd torque curve at 5500 rpm and above.

When I changed the spring in the DV. The lid was loose, so this may explain the curve. Its just a thought.