Longitudinal VR6

Hi,

Does anyone know if this has been done in a MK3 golf before? I know 034 Motorsports has done it in an A4 but was wondering if it would actually fit without hitting the slam panel!

It would be good to find out before I commit to buying parts, but if I dont I will have to by the gearbox and adaptor plate and give it a go!

Cheers Mike

Yeah thats what I was thinking as long as there is enough room between the engine and slam panel I can put the rad in the boot and make a twin intercooler either side of the engine and link it!

To be honest Ive not long been into VW's been more of a jap guy hence the reason why I like time attack so much, but after getting a VR6 I loved the power delivery so that about turboing it!

I looked at the space and thought it would be much better mounted longitudinally for more turbo clearance and a shorter run to the intercooler, reducing lag!

Ive been reading about syncro, haldex and quattro running gear and after research found that the quattro is far superior for handling and power plus the stasis diffs you can get from america only improve it further!

Cheers Mike

There is some one one the s2 forum thats done a similar thing in a mk2 golf. he has turned it into a quattro using all the s2 running gear the only difference is he has used the i5 20v motor which is actualy longer.

Ah yeah thats Baz, forgot about that one cheers Matty!

So is an i5 defo longer than a VR6 then? Also he had his driveshafts at a bit of an angle to squeeze it all in, Im hoping to keep mine straight so I dont run into problems!

We will see!

these run a vr inline well they did they run a r32 now' date=' they sell kits to fit the vr onto quattro trannys http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_85&products_id=665

[/quote']

Yeah Ive ordered my plate from them and getting my gearbox next week, so when I have it all I can mock it up! The problem I think Im going to face is the front of the engine hitting the slam panel!

Id consider modifying the firewall to get the engine back for weight distribution as sounds like a big project anyway.

Because Im keeping it 4wd I have to be careful of the front shafts lining up all will become apparent in the next couple of weeks!