Dilemma! High mileage buying opinions

Hi,

I joined this forum ages ago when I first wanted a Vr unfortunately being on an apprentice wage meant it had to wait until now. So Im all geared up, 2K waiting and whilst doing a bit of research I found on TSR's website that higher mileage (120k on) suffer from bore wear?

http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/transplant.asp

Seeing as my budget restricts me to this mileage band, i'm wondering if any of you guys have experienced this and had to do rebores/rings?

I did a bit of a search but couldn't find an answer, hopefully thats a good sign... Right?!

Leon

Not true at all. You will find some many mileage cars are in better condition then lower mileage cars. As said time and time again, its all about how the cars are maintained. If you get one with FSH or from an enthusiast who has proof of maintaining it at all costs then it will be in good condition.

Thanks for your responses! Thats good to know. Im assuming they are recommending the additional inspection to cover themselves, no one would be happy doing the conversion to find out a year later the engine's had it. Spoke to a VAG tech to also confirm, said I should be worrying about the "other" problems! :-#

Thanks again!

by that I'm assuming he's meaning chains.

I read the TSR page to mean that if bore wear is present it is usually on higher milers, rather than higher milers usually have bore wear.

When I had my rings changed the engine had done 170K or so and even with worn rings the block still had it's origininal honing marks.

He did mean chains, some idle issues and headgaskets. I know working at a dealer you always see the worst and get put off!

My dilemma was to either get a 16v or Vr and after reading the TSR's page I had to confirm it! To tell the truth I'm still in two minds, depends what decent car comes up first. Was funny today, my friend is convincing me to get a Honda VTi and took me to a meet in South Mimms, he said something will catch my eye and I'll convert. Saw a black Mk3 on BBS splits parked between all the jap crap :) I took it as a sign

Idling should only be a a problem on OBD1 models. OBD2 have a better idle control system.

The weakest point of the HG seems to be just beside the airbox/MAF. Alot/most./all weep here a little but too much isn't a good sign.

I own both a 16V and a VR and the VR is in a different league. So smooth yet so grunty. Doesn't feel like there is only 24 horses different.

Oh and the VR roar :-)

Never ignore a sign.

you also have to look at TSR's need to do things like this as they are in business to make money i would say it would cost you best part of £200 for them to take the head off tell you there is no or not significant bore wear then replace with new gaskets etc

Looking at the Forum, Pistonheads etc, it seems quite difficult to get a low mileage, looked after one with ideally no rust. But I'm also a little fussy as I don't want it to have been played with, i.e. oversized dodgy wheels, exterior mods etc...

There was one near where I live in North London, 134k, chains done with rust all over the rear arches, tailgate, blisters on the lower front doors and smelled funny (burning coolant + missing on start up - suspect HG) for £1650! It was a mulberry highline and I can only assume he needed to recoup the money for the cost of the chain repair.

My 95 Mk3 is so solid and I've seen a lot which are in great condition. But you pay a price. Saying that, there is a 77k one with 2 owners for sale here but its auto :( and well within my price range.

I've changed many many timing chains, guides and tensioners on the new Mini Cooper S so aside from taking off the gearbox it should be similar. I was hoping that would be the most extreme problem to encounter but TSR hinting that the bores wear I'd be gutted waiting all this time for a car and buying what could be a lemon in the future. Im hoping to find that "right" car, with a only a few careful knowledgeable owners and few mods, I just need a bit more patience and luck!

im sorry mate but i have worked A LOT of vr engine some in very good condtion and some in not so good condition but non of then have had bore wear to a point its needed a re bore .... the only time i have eva heard of a vr having a re bore is when they fitt 83mm piston ie to make it a 3 ltr .... sayin that i know of one rado engine block that needed a re hone not a rebore but that was cos it over heater and the piston picked up in the bore as the cooling system was bone dry ... but even then it only needed a re honing to the bigger ring size ...

My mate bought a vr about 3 months ago for 600 quid, had some rust on the arches, currently in the bodyshop getting resprayed for free by a friend. So he will have a sweet vr6 for under a grand. Just simply shop around, dont rush into it, and keep your eyes peeled for the bargains out there. The thing with the vr6 is the prices are up and down all the time