CompBrake - Solid Billet Front Top Mounts

Been told that the VW OEM front rubber top mounts are notorious for wearing very quickly, cause car to fail MOT and can need replacing after not many 1,000s of miles. Had to replace mine for last MOT about 8,000 miles ago. With all these pot holes they are probably shagged again for upcomong MOT! Looked around for 'improved' versions at the time, couldn't find any.

However, just seen these CompBrake solid metal, not rubber, versions for Mk3s on Awesome, code COMPBRAKE-CMB0226. Quite expensive at £53 a pop, but presumably you'd pretty much never have to replace them once fitted?

Two questions:

Is the story about the VW standard rubber top mounts wearing quickly true? Have members had aggro with them or is that just bullshit from a mechanic/MOT tester?

Second, has anyone fitted these ComBrake solid versions? If so, do they make any noticeable difference and are they acceptable for a daily driver on the road - harsh? Presume VW put rubber in there for a reason!

I fitted brand spanking new top mounts to mine, got an advisory about 1 of them on the mot!! Only done 30 odd miles since fitting them!

Fitted a custom solid front mount to mine (an a couple of others) that i made, feels totally different, alot less engine movement.

Didnt realise you made solid top mounts to any chance of a couple so i can put them on when i do my coilovers and polybushes.

I don't mate' date=' the top mounts were new rubber 1's, just made the solid front engine mount :-)

[/quote']

oh rite no worries ignore pm :-d

May buy some of these top mounts for my coilovers then if the vw ones are crap.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the compbrake topmounts, there are 2 problems with them:

They need 2 holes drilling in the top of the suspension tower so bolts can screw into as otherwise they move about alot when the front end lifts over bumps or acceleration out of bends, i could only find the angle to drill one of the holes.

They wore out the spring cup on the top of my koni adjustable shoscks, i am unsure wether you are supposed to use the standard VW topmount bearing in conjunction with it or not as there are no fitting instructions and no1 at compbrake can tell if they should or not.

Otherwise they seem great quality, The pillowball mount is a good idea which can be seeen on a lot of jap cars, i think they only work with coilovers that have a smaller spring cup or an FK style bearing which sits between the spring cup and the top mount.

I have the compbrake topmounts' date=' there are 2 problems with them:

They need 2 holes drilling in the top of the suspension tower so bolts can screw into as otherwise they move about alot when the front end lifts over bumps or acceleration out of bends, i could only find the angle to drill one of the holes.

They wore out the spring cup on the top of my koni adjustable shoscks, i am unsure wether you are supposed to use the standard VW topmount bearing in conjunction with it or not as there are no fitting instructions and no1 at compbrake can tell if they should or not.

Otherwise they seem great quality, The pillowball mount is a good idea which can be seeen on a lot of jap cars, i think they only work with coilovers that have a smaller spring cup or an FK style bearing which sits between the spring cup and the top mount.

[/quote']

wish id read this before i bought some. not gonna get chace to fit them for a week or two. i have coilovers on mine so hoping it wont be that difficult, do i reallly have to start drilling holes to get them to fit as i have no instructions either?!