This has been about three years in the planning and it all starts here.

I bought a Mmullberry Highline a few yers back and nothing but nothing would get me out of it.

Then the wife left, I kept the car so it was all good.

I met a new bird and we decided to buy another house together and to pay for the solicitors I had to sell my beloved highline, I was sad to see it go but was a grown up about it (not priivately though)

I went through three or four mk2's and did thrree or four vr conversions on mates cars for them and thought one day !

Well september came and the guy who bought my old highline offered it back for £500 as it had two broken rear springs and he couldnt get it past emmisions without a cat.

A monkey changed hands and it was tucked away in the back drive awaiting a little time and attention.

The following week a mk4 20v turbo popped up at an unbelievable price of £450 with full electric leather recoro interior and a stuffed in radiator so i just had to have it,

The interior and door cards were whipped out and stuck on ed38 and sold with a few other bits from the car like the front and rear lights engine trim panels and both cars had been paid for from the proceeds.

I intended to strip the hoghline and use all the bits for a mk2 conversion but she just wouldn't let me sell my old car or break it either so a deal was struck.

It goes like this....I take the whole of the mk3 and strip it to a bare shell and install the 20v turbo and dash,AC,clocks etc and as much of the running gear as I can and she gets a 20v turbo highline, re-installing the mullberry leather and interior behind myself, one happy bird.

She then buys me the clean mk2 three door shell and transplant all the vr stuff dash,abs,a/c full electrics into that.

Well sounds simple enough and this christmas for my pressie she bought me a cracking little H plate three door 1300 Ryder with small bumpers and half stripped to boot.

I went and collected it yesterday and now the fun begins, right here, it starts right here.

Plans for the vr are to get it onto throttle bodies as I've been doing this conversion for the peugeot boys (wash my dirty mouth out and stop using filthy language like that) and getting some really cracking results.

I have sourced nearly everything I need to do this conversion already.

I will be taking pics all the way and posting behind myself.

Outline plans are semi smooth Magnolia bay with black finish plant.

Small bumpers and all side plastics apart from stone guards removed/smoothed.

Single headlight grill with badge.

No plastic arches and already have 001's in silver with stainless lips and gold bolts.

As I have a spare subframe I shall be seam welding it and having it stove enameled along with all the running gear.

I also have some koni coilies and a full poly bush kit.

The car will be painted in Mullberry over the white shell with magnolia hide inside with matching carpet,

I reckon on about a year to complete this with all the abs and ac working properly, I spoke to Vince at stealth and remapping it to run ITBs shouldnt be an issue rather than using an emerald ecu (which are very very good but dont comunicate with the mfa screen)

Here's the donar car

26092009476-1.jpg

This is the picture of the mk2 as in the advert

iphone006.jpg

And this was it last night after getting home post travelling from Ely Cambridgeshire to Herne Bay in Kent to collect it.

P1000107.jpg

P1000108.jpg

P1000109.jpg

P1000110.jpg

P1000111.jpg

P1000112.jpg

P1000113.jpg

Well thats installment number 1 of many to come.

I hope you lot will enjoy watching me struggle like a muther fecker to make my dreams come true and laugh and cry along the way, especially while I teach myself to weld and spray.

Good luck mate might need some advice of ya as I am thinking a mk2 vr conversion how hard is it to do mate

Actually fitting the engine and box is the easy bit, getting round immobiliser issues that sometimes arise can be a pain but not immpossible.

Seeing as most of the mk3 parts transplant straight over and I have a complete working donar car I think the air con and abs will cause me a few issues especially having a rad and condenser made thats efficient enough and low enough to allow air over the top of them straight down the throat of the throttle bodies.

But if you get stuck feel free to fire away.

I would but I've a mk2 undergoing a heart transpant in one workshop and a mk1 receiviing twenty valves and a turbo in the other.

Plus its cold and wet outside and I'm a big fat fairy in a pink tutu (means I'm getting old )

I make my own setf them the ones for the vr cost less than £300 including the custom standoffs to mount them up to the head with.

They are 42mm. I cant divulge where I get them or the pug boys will lynch me.

See how we go as this is the first vr ive done on them.

whats making you go with 42mm bodies ' date=' also are you going to fit a smaller radiator to allow more space to the head. Good luck with the build!

[/quote']

The reason I chose the 42mm bodies are that the vehicle they currently fit make about 40brake a cylinder and they take car sized injectors with no modification. Ill post some pics of the rail of four bodies I currently have for a customers car. So I reckoned on 40 brake a cylinder multiplied by six would allow me to have some where in the region of 240brake and assuming that they have 10% head room for improvment would allow the potential for 260ish brake. thats more than enough for this engine in N/A form.

As for the rad I spoke to serck the other month and they say they can build me pretty much what I want radiator and condenser wise but it wont be cheap. I need to get everything in and running then go see them with dimensions and positioning of sensors and we should be good to go.

• 4 years later...

Well, this hasn't turned out like it should have....by a very long chalk.

Life, like it does twists and turns and mine did and this sat dormant until a few months back when I braved pulling it in the workshop armed with nothing more than a huge love for it and an overbearing guilt of leaving it stuck on my rear drive.

I put up on axle stands and just touched the front wings where they met the sills...I gave it a gentle prod and about three inches of rusty wing just fell on the floor. I could have cried as I knew how far and how badly mk3's can rot. So it was with trepidation I pulled the wings and sparked up the grinder.

In the last three years I had taught myself to weld so I was not quite so scared as previously.

I started cutting and just laughed at how much just fell on the floor so thought I can't bear this I'm going to take the brakes and suspension off and strip the brakes and sand blast everything in sight. Which I duly did.

Then painted them all as painting always feels like you have achieved something positive.

Over the next few evenings I got on the Internet found some replacement sills and just got happy with the grinder.

You cannot believe how much of this thing I had to cut out to get to good metal.

I was bloody merciless.

I had to repair a good percentage of the outer floor, the stretchers from inner sill to outers and then the inner arches where the usual suspect of dirt and leaves sat and rotted it.

I welded in new arch bottoms and made good where ever was needed.

everything was treated with rust cure at every opportunity.

I then couldn't be arsed for a couple of months as work was busy and a cold workshop is never inviting.

So I built a wood burner instead and didn't fit it as it was raining when ever I had the chance to try fit it.

So in the last few weeks I've pulled finger out and finished the sills off and reassembled the brakes and the coil overs I had kicking about.

I've a few finishing bits to do before it makes it out of the workshop to make space for a paying job of a mk2 20v conversion. I've new front wings and the whole front end will be going to my mate zenny who owns a paint shop who'll be guiding me through painting it all.

and it'll be mot time.

here's my album it's not exhaustive or up to date by any means but ill update it with some fresh pics before it gets put on its wheels and driven out.

http://s.photobucket.com/user/casper1967/library/Mk3%20Vr6%20highline

Edited by Guy

So once I've been to the shop for me red bull I'm going to bodyseal both sides of the floor repairs then shutz the lot.

Then it's time to mask up and stone chip it and leave it to dry.

Red bull ingested, I've sealered everything in sight and then some just in case.

I masked up the nearside sill, cleaned the shutz gun, did a little dance with my 3 year old boy whilst listening to faithless 'insomnia' and shaking the stone chip.

I got busy with the fizzy and here's the results below. Despite being black it's not a bad finish and once set will take paint a treat (or so I'm assured)

So tomorrow's d-day and it's wheels on and out you must go.

20140505_165947.jpg

20140505_183225.jpg

20140505_183616.jpg

20140505_183550.jpg

20140505_183641.jpg

20140505_183647.jpg

20140505_183641.jpg

Edited by Guy

After packing my tools away I grabbed a battery and slung it in.

Surprise surprise the ecu had lost the keys. Grrrrr.

Vagcom out. Made it see the keys and happy days it started on the second try.

Happy is not the word.

The idle is a little lumpy but I think may be due in part to this breather valve....

20140505_175126.jpg

any body got one ?

Are they available still from Ford as I'm not paying vw a small fortune when they're £20 elsewhere.

So this afternoon I feel like I have achieved a fairly large step towards its recovery especially as hearing that VR rumble is just magic, it's love all over again.

Edited by Guy

Today's efforts have been pretty poor to be honest as I've been flat arsed tired and suffered massive lethargy, but on the upside I did do a full service on my T5 lwb transporter today.

I managed to get the wheels on and the crap cleared off of the top of it and pulled it outside only to run it out of fuel (school boy error) and by then I just wanted to sweep my workshop out and go to bed.

But I did take a couple of pics with it outside and it's wheels on.

It does look so nice, I am now so excited about painting the front that I think I'll do the rear bumper at the same time.

20140506_225356.jpg

20140506_225414.jpg

20140506_225553.jpg

20140506_225539.jpg