Anyone setup a high quality Sound system?

im in the middle of my install and have hit the first hurdle.. I have an old phoenix gold ms 2250 (unbelievable 2 channel amp in its time), it pumps out a healthy 1060 wrms bridged @ 4ohms and I'm scared to think what it does at 2ohms. I am only running 1 12" orion nt in a sealed box out of one channel at 2ohms.. Its definately all I need without blowing the window out and becoming a deaf loud bass playing twat !dodge . the only problem I'm having is that the lights are dimming so much, inside and out, the car is even hesitating.. What do I need, a power cap maybe?

i think that's gonna be your only cure. The amp is drawing that much from your battery it's having to starve other things of the power they need. The cap will store enough charge to help get that kick without drawing everything from the battery at once. I used to have this problem and in the end i changed the amp. Now using a PG QX220 (i think) and i have no troubles at all!

me thinks a battery cap then..

Here's an interesting setup..

2 batteries, a relay on the first battery that will only charge the second battery when the first one is full. The radio system only takes charge from the second and hence will never cause any running problems and leave u stranded.

Where do u put second battery without looking nasty tho??

if you want to go that route get a proper leasure battery that you can mount in any orientation, ie. on its side, upside down etc! then you could mount it on its side in the side of the boot and make a panel round it! or throw your spare wheel out and put it in the wheel well! you could also try uprating your wiring to alternator and battery earths as this is one of the most common probs on current draw affecting other components!

Well, it's a gel battery rather than just a leisure battery, as they tend to be for caravans and the like. Unfortunately a gel battery is gonna cost you somewhere in the region of about £200-£300. Then you've gotta suss out all your split charging circuit. I'd just bung a cap in for the sake of 100 odd quid!

cheers boyz.. optiuma yellow has been a favourite for a while. Wanted one on last car.. My current battery might also be shit.. Found some screwdriver marks on it, where someone might of refilled the acid.. not good.. Wiring to the alternator looks spot on though..

It turns out because my amp is so powerful and old ( its not digital! ), it draws a lot of current anyway, apparently the cap on its own probably wont help, should invest in an optima or at least get a new battery in the front and a cap.

check this one out.. managed to get a relay system fitted to london electricity vans.. It splits charge to 2 batteries so even if your 2nd battery goes flat running auxileries (in my case the stereo), it wont run down the main car battery.. very nice, relay would cost about 100 notes aparently.. hehe :D

• 4 weeks later...

if your lights are flickering, it your battery, if they are dimming its the altenator. What you need to do is upgrade the "big three" basically the power wires. Battery to chassis, battery to altenator and one more but i forget which one it was :) Prolly altenator to chassis. Make sure they are the same gauge as your amp power wire, so the car is all running the same gauge wiring(no restrictions) try getting a deep cycle battery about £40-£200 depends on what you want to get. Powercap should help, it reduces the sudden drain on the battery as the amp pulls the power. Split charge relay is about £75 from stinger, the yellow top battery fits snug in the boot on the left hand side, behind the wheel arch thingy.