Hi folks! Thanx for the welcome first of all, I´m positive i´ll find the forum useful. Not sure if this is regular ocurrance with vr´s, but mine seems to give off a burnt rubber smell through the air vents after it´s been given a good caning. I notice it more once the car is at a standstill. It´s not a burning clutch smell for sure, which is why i´m a bit puzzled.

I think the chain is rattling, and the car sounds more like a Renault 5 when started from cold. Should i be really worried? B)

As for the chain, am i right in saying that it´s located on the left of the engine (looking at the car head on). I sounds quite tappety too. The car runs runs fine, no leaking oil or smoke from the exhaust. VW mechanic said not to worry, but not at all sure. %-6

My old 94 VR6 used to whine like a Renault when cold too, and there was nothing wrong with the engine in that. However, I noticed that it varied according to what oil I used. I found Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 and Synta Silver 10W-40 to be the best ones to use.

As for the rubber smell, are you using EBC Green/Red brake pads by any chance? I found that the compound on these reeks of rubber after they've been used hard...

A rattling timing chain will be most noticable below 1500rpm. Your noise could be tappets though, which once again points to the oil (too thin?). When was the oil change last done, and what oil was used?

[ Edited Tue Dec 14 2004, 11:19AM ]

Thanx 4 that Nick. Changed the oil about 2.5k ago, not too sure of it´s viscosety but something tells me that it´s thinner than 10W-40. Not sure about the pads, but´the smell occurs after a little hard driving, staying above 3500-4000rpm for a short period of time, without any hard braking.

With regards to tappet noise, a VW spanner said that there was nothing to worry about, but it´s a little embarrasing 4 me pulling up anywhere in a tappety VR. When the cars been left for a few hours the engines first 4 ticks on starting are really loud, then it goes it´s normal path. Could be the oil, but i´ve tried various and it doesn´t go away. It sound like when you´re rolling downing hill on a push bike, that lose sounding ticking that the chain makes, get what I mean?

Oh, took the car out earlier, and after warming up the engine, i gave her quick blast for a few minutes, kept the revs reasonably high and when got back, that smell came in again, only this time i noticed it had a little eggy hot catalyst smell mixed in as well, it stank my interior up no end, cat is pretty new,so would have thought it would have any probs. Anu clues?