oily substance in water tank

• 5 months later...

Its probably nothing to worry about, if its been sat for any period of time, and not been driven, then how could the h/g go? Do you know when the last time you changed to coolant?

Try draining and filling with fresh coolant/water as see what happens, could be anything floating around in the coolant, and its just settled over time in your coolant tank.

I have only just purchased the car on friday so will be peace of mind to change it anyway, the previous owner bought a impreza so the vr6 ended up just sitting in his garage for just over two months so probably why its a little dirty then, i will give it a go today and see how i get on, cheers for your help

Hiya, im having the same problem as we speak!!

My header tank is pressurizing slightly, and causing an oil substance to foam alittle on the water surface., The foam isnt thick, and fizzles away when the cap is opened. I was told it point to headgasket failure, but then someone told me it could be an airlock in the system?!??? im baffled as to what it is, but at the moment i have drained all the water out the system and taken off the header tank and cleaned it. I will flush the system with clean water first to see if it turns cloudy and foams again. Hopefully it'll be nowt serious, i'll keep you posted of progress.

i flushed the system today, and loads of crappy water came out, took an hour and half to flush completely. then i filled it back up with de ionised water and g12 antifreeze, and hey presto,, no foam at all, and no excess pressure, and no oil residue anywhere. Hopefully it'll last.....we will see!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know this is an old post but i did a search and this is the closest i could find.i drained my coolant today ready for the new thermostat as my rad hoses were getting hot and hard, so i thought thermostat stuck closed. anyway once i drained the coolant and looked in the bucket i noticed it had a layer of oil on the top of it. now im suspecting headgasket failure but there wasnt any water in the oil when i did an oil change its just oil in the water. could this be a oil cooler seal or something?