Pearsy's Black Death VR !!!! ( Thats now called hopping MAD!!! )

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing your car has air-con which is why you didn't bring it out the front. It is soul destroying when you have to do a job again but i'm sure all this practice is making you an F1 style engine in/out guru.

Yeah you right on that was going to leak the air con but i thought no i can do this ! lol yeah i will be taking the engine out everything day ! lol

well thats what sutton rebore said that its overfueling but they dunno why it is so i ve been asking arounf it could be becuase of a sensor making it think that its cold all the time thats why it over fuels or the injector timming ! lol

Really pleased to see u didn't break in the end mate :) hope it all goes well!

Yeah i hope so to mate ! finger crossed and all that i get the barstard working lol

I'm sure u will mate, u must know ur car inside-out by now! out of interest, your strut brace, what brand is it, and did u have to relocate anything at all?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello people i thought i would do a update as i havent really been on here for ages !!!!!!!!!!!! anywasy good news IT WORKS again !! lol took me a few months but is back from the dead so nice to hear the engine purr again lol anyways enough jibber jabber fools have a look at some pic's !!

Right this one is where i took as much as i could off !

IMG_0409.jpg

As you can see hardly anything on it !

IMG_0410.jpg

Then pushed the old war horse in !

IMG_0414.jpg

Then started to get the engine out !

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

And then as you see engine and car side by side !

IMG_0422.jpg

Then i started to bugger around abit lol

IMG_0423.jpg

Then left the poor old engine on the stand !

IMG_0424.jpg

Then after all that found out that my bottom end was pretty much F##ked so i asked how much to rebore etc etc ! £1234.00 that wasn t inlc VAT ! so i had a quick look on fleebay and done a deal for a bottom end and a backbox !

So here is the back box i started to clean it up

IMG_0425.jpg

then in no time it was shiney !

IMG_0427.jpg

And thats all the photos at the min but im so happy as its all back in and working but need to finnshed making the middle section of exhaust ! get a fews bits sorted then will go for a good clean and polish ! and get checked out to see if its running ok !!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Herer are a few more pics of the rebuild didn t get many as i just wanted to get the bloody thing back but it is and loud ! lol

Here is the new bottom end i bought and cleaned up !

IMG_0433.jpg

then painted !

IMG_0434.jpg

then once dryed started to time the engine up !

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

then i put the head on !

IMG_0440.jpg

then thats it with all the head and clutch etc etc on

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

and then here is a pic of the centre exhaust pipe i cut up and sort of welded then gave it to a pro to weld up ! lol

IMG_0449.jpg

and thats it so far all running been driving around for a bit but going to get it plugged in a checked out !

• 3 months later...

Hello people as you must know me by now as my car has been on and off !!! for ages i was going to break it but due down to i couldn t get a newer car i thought would be better to see what the problem was !!! so i had a look and after all this time i thought it was the pistons again !!! but it wasn t it was the valves and valve guides !! so i bought some more ! which lucky for me i got most of this for cheapish ! lol

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

then got me head off and a dremel and started to clean out my head !!

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0501.jpgIMG_0500.jpg

Im hoping to have this pretty much all done next weeek some time i cannot wait but next on the list is a gearbox ! and i dunno wheather not or i will be using a standard vr one or a v5 mk4 golf one ?? uhmm well i will sort that out later !

right just a quick update i ve carryed on cleaning out the head !! looking much better now as you can see below !

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

yea so ready to press the new valve guides in then reem them to make sure its a lovely fit !!! then the valves and springs and top hats and etc etc ! lol

But im also working on some door lights for when you open the car door i tried this one once before but was falling to bits so i bought the proper door light! and what i did was get some green LED strip that runs strait off a 12v and hot glue it into place as you can see below !

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

then i wanted to see if it work so got hold of a 9v bat and tested it ! and i was a happy lad lol

IMG_0519.jpg next will be to see if it works in the door sort out the pos and neg wires to the plug and etc etc and also get on rebuilding my head !! lol

• 1 month later...

SO i noticed a few carbon mods in previous pages with mirrors do you have more parts done in that manner?

Hello mate sorry for such a very late reply been trying to sort out a few issuses ! yea the wind mirrors failed very badly ! but im going to give it ago again soon !

Right people thought you might like a update on this as you might know i have engine problems from day one i think but i never let it get to me ! there have been two times i nearly broke the vr and im glade i havent ! what i have done is sourced a new engine which has only done 88000 miles ! so has a look at it as it was still in the car and ran like a dream ! so done a deal to get engine and gearbox !! yea but in the mean time i have been messing around with LEDs !!!! so here is what i have done !

Here is a photo of all the window switchs in the doors all taken apart !

Picture012.jpg

close up

Picture009-2.jpg

Picture011-2.jpg

So what you need to do is get rid of the old LED and replace it with your new led and resistor as you can see below

Picture014-2.jpg

Picture015-2.jpg

Once all into place i thought i would test it to see if everything is in the right place !

Picture016-2.jpg

and it worked first time !! i have changed most of the switchs ! and is much better.

Here are the others althought the rearheater switch i wanna change the clear bit.

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I have done the air con and recirculated air buttons but they were a right pain in the arse ! but worth it ! will get photos of them over the weekend same with the engine swap !! Wish me luck on the enigne swap !! later on

little update well i got a complete engine this weekend with 88k on the clocks which was a touch so what i did was buy that then ripped my old engine out swap all my good parts over then dump the new engine in !! and bongo started up lovely ! i will upload some pics of that later on but i thought i would put pics up on my new door catchs which i played with enjoy !

Here is pic with the door catchs after plating and the new pins i made with the new plastic catchs.

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

before

Picture001-1.jpg

after

Picture002-1.jpg

and the finnshed product and i must say very very happy with them !!! was abit of a bitch to flaten the pin over to secure the platic bush !

Picture005-1.jpg

i dunno what im going to do next?? but have a few more idea in the pipe works !

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update nothing major changed apart from i changed the needle colour ! as you can see below there is a standard merc needle

Picture008-1.jpg

with a bit of wet a dry you can take the orange paint off

Picture009-1.jpg

then i got some GREEN !!! sticky back plastic also you do have to drill the merc needles with a 1mm drill otherwise they won t fit !

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture018.jpg

and here they are all finnshed

Picture019-1.jpg

i do wanna back light the needles and also really want some DDI dials then i think they will look sweet !