So how hard can it be.....The 20vt conversion?????

????????????????

I have a complete 20v 1.8T audi which is dying to loan me its engine and any other things necassary for my 16v.

This is going to be a home grown attempt at doing this conversion so how hard is it ?!

What do you lot recon any suggestions..............and volenteers to help (that would be good lol)

Claire> as you may know, my mate has already done this conversion using a 225TT lump into a Passat Estate that was at the VR rr day. He used a Merc Sprinter i/c and a Mk3 TDi gearbox and also managed to work it on standard mgt (saving £1500 straight away on the cost of DTA + mapping time!)........he's ripping it out of the Passat in the new year to transfer it all into a Mk2 Golf so give us a shout if you need any info... 8) ;)

i bleieve its easier than converting the car to take the vr lump in general, its the wiring loom that brings headaches in proportion to world destruction. if you have the pre-fly-by-wire-throttle jobbiy then it becomes easier, but you've all heard the story about clocks/transponder/original loom required? i would be mor than happy to lend ahand also, if onlt ot make tea and eat cakes and learn a little in the process! try getting as much info on the conversion to start with claire, then you're in with a fighting chance!

There was that "plug and play" wiring kit featured in PVW a couple of months or so ago' date=' that was supposed to make things a lot easier and cheaper.[/quote']

I have just read about this off the Elite 1k site as they have a good forum section on the 20vt conversion + a how to guide 8)

Think the plug and play kit is the way forward with these things

i bleieve its easier than converting the car to take the vr lump in general' date=' its the wiring loom that brings headaches in proportion to world destruction. if you have the pre-fly-by-wire-throttle jobbiy then it becomes easier, but you've all heard the story about clocks/transponder/original loom required? i would be mor than happy to lend ahand also, if onlt ot make tea and eat cakes and learn a little in the process! try getting as much info on the conversion to start with claire, then you're in with a fighting chance![/quote']

Having all the original goodies isnt a prob as I have a complete audi at my dipense ;-)

Mat as long as you dont mind making a trip down to me then you will be more than welcome but hey I'm the tea and coffee and cake makers so you'll have to get your hands dirty lol :P

• 1 month later...

drag this back from the doldrums, as i missed it before!

The 20VT conversion is apparently one of the easiest, but people would say that. I believe the plug and play loom and ECu that was in PVW was a bit farsical. Yeah, it makes things easy, but from what i understand, it was basically an identical loom to the DTA, but with a plug where the DTA ends in 4 wires.......also comes with an apparently remappable Peugeot ECU. I think i'd probably prefer the DTA personally as people seem to have had good results, and it saves the need for the 20vt guages etc. I think the engine is a simple bolt in affair too, so should be quite straight forward.

We're attacking a MK2 VR6 conversion as of Monday so i may know a bit more once i start learning from that!

Cheers for all the advise peeps on this but I've decided just to stick with the 16v engine as it'll be more reliable for track use :-)

I've sold the engine now as well.

But for those of you who still wanna give me and ian a hand they your more than welcome i'm trying to get my sticky paws on a 2.0l 16v engine from a passat or audi to pop in the old valver :P

If I'd have known Claire you were after a 2.0 16V engine a months or too ago i could have done you a really good deal on my old engine, It was a 9A tall block (the one to go for) flowed head, shrick cams, 4branch all ancillaries were new, was a mint engine complete with recon box but sold it to a lad from Devon who's now putting it in a Caddy, never mind I'm sure a good one will come to light from somewhere.

You know I will be there Claire. :-) Just give me a shout when you need a hand. On the proviso that you take me out in the 16v on the track. :-)

Of course will try not to blow it up this time lol :D

If I'd have known Claire you were after a 2.0 16V engine a months or too ago i could have done you a really good deal on my old engine' date=' It was a 9A tall block (the one to go for) flowed head, shrick cams, 4branch all ancillaries were new, was a mint engine complete with recon box but sold it to a lad from Devon who's now putting it in a Caddy, never mind I'm sure a good one will come to light from somewhere.[/quote']

OMG I'm soooooooooo gutted :@ sounds like a nice set up

It was a really fit engine, cost me a good few quid.

I sold the lot for a grand, he got a really good deal on that, the lad even bought my G60 brake setup off me, gave them away at 100quid.

The only mark2 bit's I've left now is a set of Big Bumper driving lamps, a twin head light grill, later type steering wheel, that's about it.

Oh and if you know anyone who maybe interested, i'm gonna be selling my Fox RS1 4x100 wheels with 215-40-17 yoko's, mint condition.