Symptoms of failing or dirty MAF

ive heard of people cleaning them...not sure if it works though......never had experience with maf problem's on a vr but on a 1.8 20v t engine you can tell by the loss of power...the car will feel flat all the way through the rev range? and or buck when driving!.... you should notice an improvement in performance by disconnecting the maf and then driving the car. This is all on a 1.8t though but I?m sure the late vr are the same!

[ Edited Wed Nov 24 2004, 09:15PM ]

Where is the MAF sensor located? Its just that in the morning, when its cold and I more than quarter throttle it, its flat as hell untill it warms up slightly. I never rev it untill its warm but if I ever need to move quickly, its not gonna happen.

Secondly, a couple of days ago after driving around all day, I stopped to pick up some stuff and when I drove it home (still hot) It was flat as hell below 1,200rpm it didn't sound as if it was missing, but when I got home and reved it off the throttle body under the bonnet all I got was loads of induction and flatness untill the revs picked up.

I turned it off for 5 mins and its been fine ever since! Wierd hu?

I think it may be a dodgy lead or plug, as I've been told by a mechanic mate that if was missing on a certian cylinder, I wouldn't really hear it. But could it be anything else?

As Tommy said, the symptoms are as explained.

I know, my Ibiza 1.8T ate 3 MAF's!

BIG TIP: Don not over oil your airfilters....this is the biggest killer.

Jay - The MAF is located in between the throttle body and the air box/induction kit. It's the plastic housing in bettween these two points. The actual element is inside the casing.