[poll] Choice of engine for next project....

OK, with the VR6 now sold, my new project is officially in it's planning stage..

Looking to build an R32-kitted Mk3.5 Cabrio with big power (250BHP+), hopefully to be worthy of a magazine feature once completed.

The question is, which powerplant should I go for?

All of the above 3 options would work out about the same cost and produce the required output.

Which would be your preferred choice?

[ Edited ]

I'd say the cheapest option would be the S/C 2.8 VR6 by far to achieve 250bhp.

But if your after big power then the R32 lump is the one to go for, but bare in mind, trying to find one at the right price, that's your biggest headacke. Plus there's the wiring and electronics part of the conversion, that's a real big pain. If you want a proper drive by wire conversion using the original ECU, Loom & clocks, But there is always the cheap conversion option of a cable driven Motec ECU. But my view is if your gonna to to that expence do it right.

I've been talking to a few people about cams for the 24v powerplant and almost everyone has said the same, they do nothing for the 24V engine. Forget what ever AMD are quoting on their rollers for the R32 (300bhp+ with cams, exhaust and remap) totally unrealistic, who knows where they get there figures from. But I'm sure if there was some sort of forced induction added to the 24v lump then yes maybe the cams would make a diffrerence.

My view is, if you've £10/12K+ then the R32 is the way to go, but if your looking at £7/8K then the VR6 S/C is tried and tested.

Looking to build an R32-kitted Mk3.5 Cabrio with big power (250BHP+)' date=' hopefully to be worthy of a magazine feature once completed.

The question is, [b']which powerplant should I go for?

Havent you answered your own question??

If you want it to really stand out (ie get a mag feature) it has to be the R32 while its still someting different... and is going to be the most powerful... and is the only choice to fit in with your R32 interior

Theres a chipped 4motion that comes to J29 and it makes 220bhp iirc

Mk2R32, a couple of questions:

1. How did you get around the problem of the integrated immobiliser?. Did you just have to change the clocks, ECU & wiring, or were there other components you had to use as well? Did you have to do anything with the steering column/ignition switch?

2. Did you have to weld in the pedal box from the Mk4 in order for the drive-by-wire throttle to work, or was there a way around having to do this?

3. Did the brake master cylinder/fluid reservoir/servo have to be manipulated in any way to make room for the engine?

[ Edited Tue Nov 23 2004, 08:45AM ]

As I said the electronics and wiring is probably the most difficult part of the conversion, The Immobiliser is within the ecu, this has to be programmed out, also airbags, ABS and lots of other things also have to be turned off within the ECU inorder to get a working ECU with no fault codes.

My pedal box is out of a Passat (easiest to adapt to a MK2), still needed a fair bit of fabrication to get it to fit, The servo is a late MK2 16v unit, clutch master cylinder is a VR6 item. There is no clearance problems at all apart from the bonnet and power steering pump & pipework.

Did you ever see the White Mk1 Golf with full Impreza Turbo Runnin gear? That would have been an interesting combo i reckon!

Personally i think the R32 lump has to be the one out of any above but i assume prices are going to be at £3k or so as they're so new??

Thanks for the advice, Mk2R32. It's good to know that the immobiliser can be worked around programmatically. Who did the reprogramming work on your ECU?

I take it that the exhaust has to be a complete custom job, at least between the manifold and the Cat anyway...