loosing coolant/overheating

Hi guys,

My car has suddenly started overheating really quick..after 10/15 mins of use from cold. If i let the temperature guage get to about 3 quarters up the car starts spewing coolant onto the road. Don't want to drive it now until i can figure out the fault. The fans kick in but this doesn't help. Im really worried now. Any help would be great

thanks,

steve

headgasket maybe. when i had a head gasket go the same used to happen within ten mins it go up in a cloud of steam lol

Was it leaking aswell as steaming? as this is what mine is doing. Didnt cause any damage to the engine did it?

where is the leak from m8. mine went up in steam an was chucking water an steam out of the resivour ..it didnt damage the engine but endded up putting a seconhand engine in due to the cost in fixing ....got quoted nearly £900 as its a big job and the chains and guides needed replacing ...im sure some others who know more might have some other ideas as im only going off what happened to me

dj

where is the leak from m8. mine went up in steam an was chucking water an steam out of the resivour ..it didnt damage the engine but endded up putting a seconhand engine in due to the cost in fixing ....got quoted nearly £900 as its a big job and the chains and guides needed replacing ...im sure some others who know more might have some other ideas as im only going off what happened to me

dj

It is coming out of just the resovoir...but i think it might be leeking out somewhere else aswell, but i guess until its on a ramp its hard to tell for sure Ive only had it less than a month but new chains, guides and clutch have been done in the last three months totalling a bill of 850. Fingers crossed the head isn't warped from the overheating and theres no internal damage i don't mind footing the bill for a headgasket but anything more and i think i could be looking at a new engine to :( btw were you getting water in the oil? I think there might be but not 100% Do you know the best way to tell?..theres definately no oil in the leeking coolant and im not getting mayo round the oil cap.

Took it to a garage today. They seem to reckon its not showing any tell tail signs of head gasket failure and reckon it could just be a thermostat. I'm not fully convinced as would you usually asociate these faults ^^^^ with a thermostat?

Anyone???

• 2 weeks later...

Great fix mate, congrats. Phew! Just to add something to the happy ending. The AA came to look at a mate's classic mini that had overheated big time. Turned out it was the thermostat, like yours. We thought maybe the head gasket had been blown, easy to happen on an A Series engine. The guy had a cool little kit that he tested the rad water with and it told him whether there was a) oil or B) combustion gases, in the water. There wasn't so head gasket OK. I think that you can buy these in Halfords or similar. Not something you need very often but when you do......