Hi there everyone.

I have recentley had the pleasure of buying my first VR6 golf, shes a 92 J reg, 88.000 miles full vw s/h, 1 previous owner, and fell in love instantly. However a strange noise has suddenly appeared from my engine, its a kind of whiney noise and is coming from the left side with the belts on. it seems to be coming from the alloy unit thats above the pullys and belts. What is this part? and should i be worried?

Thanks

hi mate i have the same noise on my car i just changed the belt tensioner + belt, the noise is still there i changed the alternator aswell still no joy!!

i think its something to do with the chain runners i have just booked it in with stelth who are gonna sort it out, other than that the car is running like a dream done 500+ miles in it at the weekend so the problem cant be that bad............ is yours still driving ok??

its between the engine and the gearbox, and it wouldn't whine it would clatter or clunk.

cars that have cambelts (a rubber belt as opposed to our metal chains) usually have them loacted on the left side.

be careful getting advice about vr6's, not many people know enough about them (including most mechanics) as they're a little different from the norm.

[ Edited Thu Nov 18 2004, 04:42PM ]