hi,

not quite sure if this is the right section for this post so apologies if its the wrong one!

i have a leak in my vr6 golf that happens when it rains even when the car is stationary. this leads me to believe that it is the sunroof drain pipes being disconnected or something. either that or the windscreen surround seal as its looking like it has seen better days so maybe that could be the cause.

i have heard that the heater matrix could cause a leak? could someone explain to me what the matrix does and how it could be involved in soaking my interior carpets!

many thanks.

ian. :-d

Your heater matrix is behind the passenger side of your dash kinda above where your feet would be and supplies the heating for your car, its possible that has sprung a leak hence you carpets being soaked.

A fix for now would be to lift your bonnet and look for the two pipes going into the bulkhead, disconnect them and join together with a 90 degree pipe join if that makes sense! this will stop the flooding into your car and will give you some time to have the matrix replaced, there are guides on here for replacing it if you feel like doing it yourself, just look through the forums and you should find it easy enough.

Not sure about the sunroof drainage being disconnected, have you checked to see if you are losing water?

Your heater matrix is behind the passenger side of your dash kinda above where your feet would be and supplies the heating for your car' date=' its possible that has sprung a leak hence you carpets being soaked.

A fix for now would be to lift your bonnet and look for the two pipes going into the bulkhead, disconnect them and join together with a 90 degree pipe join if that makes sense! this will stop the flooding into your car and will give you some time to have the matrix replaced, there are guides on here for replacing it if you feel like doing it yourself, just look through the forums and you should find it easy enough.

Not sure about the sunroof drainage being disconnected, have you checked to see if you are losing water?

[/quote']

mine survived two winters like that. it's a dash out job, not too hard just time consuming. But as sirlee said you;d be loosing coolant ig the heater matrix was the cause.

the sunroof drains could be blocked

im losing about 1 litre a week. i think it may be actually coming from the bottle itself. i am testing this by wiping it clean and seeing if the pink coolant/water comes back.

just discovered the bloody fuel pump is pi**ng out fuel as well now! well more of a fast drip really. took it to the garage asap this morn to get sorted.

By way of more basic explanation....the heater matrix is a small radiator, connected to the main cooling system, through which the incoming outside air is passed thus heating it up. Hence you don't get heat from the vents until the car's coolant has heated up, and so the heater matrix. So it is pressurised, same as the rad and whole system.Sorry if this is obvious!

As you say, if it only happens when it rains maybe it isn't this. Hopefully not, as it is a b*****d to replace. Very common issue with Corrados is the heater matrix. Fills behind the dash with steam and does for the digital displays and the computer output. Nice.