Speakers installed, suggestions for a sub' please?

Hi all,

Newbie ICE installer alert!

97' 5 door VR6

Just bought some Infinity Kappa (2 way) speakers to go in the back doors and some Infinity reference speakers (component 3 ways with seperate tweeters ) for the front.

The question is: Do I need crossovers for the tweeters in the top of the dashboard, or just exchange them?

The infinity's come with crossover boxes too, do I need to install them??

Any help greatly appreciated, many thanks! :D

Ian

The standard VW 'crossovers' simply consist of a parrallel capacitor which would have audiophiles, even alive ones, turning in their graves.

I would suggest installing the crossovers as you have them as it can only help improve the sound quality.

front dash tweeters are also on the back of them. rune speaker wires from you AMP/HADUNIT to the tweeter position add crossoverthen connect the wire that runs to the door (which is piggy backed on the tweeter) in to crossover eezy peezy

Thanks Calico! :)

I have downloaded some instructions from the Infinity website, will have a go this morning to fit them. Can't be worse than the factory paper coned crap that are in the doors at the moment lol

I have never come across such bad quality factory fitted speakers in my life.

Ive got an Infinty Perfect 10 VQ, its got a magnesium cone and comes with 2 massive alloy doughnuts that insert to the back of the sub to tune it. Its really punchy!!

If you want to go mad a JL Audio W7 is about as good as it gets, but about £700

auto acoustics do a nice box for the nearside will need screwing to the bodywork as standard velcrow dosnt workall depends what type base you are after base that makes your car shake and makes you go deaf or bass that is for sound quality 12" best as 10" dosnt pump the bass so much 15" do not react to quick beats Alpine type R subs seem to be the best of both worlds in a ported box jl audio are very good for both sq and bas but that is reflected in the price

I always wanted one of them compact subs that go under your seat. They come with an inline volume control that you can fit anywhere on the center console. I think I will go down that road when I fit one because I can't be bothered to put the wires to the boot.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

Gralaw: Reminds me of my 309Gti I had years back where the spare alloy was kept in a cage underneath the back of the car and people were stealing the using bolt croppers. I made an 8" stainless steel disc to mount under the wheel and bolted it to the inside of the boot with M12 studding by drilling a hole through the floor in the boot.

LOL.

Calico: I was thinking of a 12" in the boot to one side in a specially made ported box, made them before.

What about bass tubes? I cant lose much boot space as we have a 9month old baby and all her gear to carry around :), hence me getting a 5 door, not a 3.

P10200411.jpg

auto acoustics do a nice box for the nearside will need screwing to the bodywork as standard velcrow dosnt workall depends what type base you are after base that makes your car shake and makes you go deaf or bass that is for sound quality 12" best as 10" dosnt pump the bass so much 15" do not react to quick beats Alpine type R subs seem to be the best of both worlds in a ported box jl audio are very good for both sq and bas but that is reflected in the price

Just had a look at the StealthBoXz Calico, £190 just for the box :o , think I`ll make one :)