well it's got to the point I will have to do something about it lol

If I have an extended period of driving down hill and the car is say in third or fourth and i'm off the accelerator when I come back on the accelerator it smokes like a git, real James bond smoke screen stuff!!

Now I think really it can only be two things or both these things

1. Rings

2. Valve guides and or valve stem seals.

I have checked the engine's only breather on the top of the rocker cover and that looks clear and it is breathing a small amount through it.

Any help would be great

1993 VR6 AAA engine

cheers

Matt

I had a similar problem with my 20v and it turned out the lambda was shot. It was overfueling like a bugger and would cut out when I came to stop but when you got past low revs it ran ok. Same with off acc. and it would stutter and chuck out huge black smoke. Not sure if it's the same on the VR but thought it was worth chucking in my 2p!

very black and oily mate' date='

TBH the dip stick in the car just sits in the stem with no o ring or any thing so it could be over filled ?? it does look old

[/quote']

If its black smoke its fuel, if its blue smoke its oil, if its white smoke its probably steam/water vapour = headgasket!

id say its over fuelling, just my tuppence worth, how long does it smoke for? is it one good puff or ten minutes? my car also stalls at junctions so ur not alone. but i think thats got somethig to do with my maf since it also idles very irratic and keeps trying to dye.

it depends how long I leave it in vacuum, if it's a really long hill then it's a far bit of smoke for a short period when I come back on the power, Strange though!! if I dip the clutch and let it idle for a few seconds, basically free wheeling no smoke, I'm starting to think it's valve stems or guides, and this idle is allowing the oil to drain back to the sump from the head,

yep I think you are right. although the smoke should be blue rather than out and out black if so.

you can get a magic potion to rejuvinate your seals if they are not to far gone. didn't work on mine but I had had my head in the sand for 18months.