I've just read that there are two types of steering rack for the VR6. I've checked it out on EKTA and it agrees. Theres a ZF model with a waffle finish cast aluminium body and a TRW model with a smooth steel body. Acorrding to sites in the US, all VRs have the ZF aluminium type. I've just checked mine though and it has the TRW smooth steel type.

Maybe they are different in the UK? Anyone heard of this?

Cheers,

ip

• 3 months later...

I've never heard of this but one of my friends had a mk4 turbo and is about to fit an Audi TT/ R32 rack. They say it handles better and there's less turns from lock to lock.

I wonder if the two racks you have found handle or work in different ways. I also wonder if a TT rack could go on a mk3?

I wonder if the two racks you have found handle or work in different ways. I also wonder if a TT rack could go on a mk3?

The mk4 rack will not fit on a mk3 subframe, too wide. If you can give the reg of your car when ordering (from somewhere like GSF) they should match it to your car then.

I can confirm there are indeed two different racks. I've just had a new rack fitted to my late 96 VR6 and the garage who did the job had to go to the local VW stealer with the VIN to confirm the correct part code as they said there was no other guaranteed way to know which one was fitted.

Couldn't tell you the difference between them though.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm there are indeed two different racks. I've just had a new rack fitted to my late 96 VR6 and the garage who did the job had to go to the local VW stealer with the VIN to confirm the correct part code as they said there was no other guaranteed way to know which one was fitted.

Couldn't tell you the difference between them though.

Just out of interest...how much did you pay for a new rack to be fitted??

cheers