Misfiring again!! any feed back would be welcome!!!

My 1996 VR6 golf highline is missing again but different symptoms this time

Everythis is fine for 10 min or so then as soon as its all warmed through it starts missing and firing on 5 then trying to fire on 6 then it pretends to be a tractor!!,

Turn it off wait 20 min then start it up and its smooth as glass for the next 10 min

Ive changed the plugs for NGK platinium and new vw leads, its also had a new coil pack and its still bloody doing it but the really annoying bit is that it dosent show up any fault codes when analysed with the plugin snap on analyser........

Hi All thanks for the replys

To cabrio man

Why would checking the compression be my next step??

The chains are starting to rattle and I'm saving the pennies up as we speak to get them done but loose chains wont make it misfire when its hot would it??

I would have thought checking the injectors and fuel pump supply and fuel filters would be next??

Has anyone else had these symptoms on there VR

I do love the VR but its unreliableness is getting on my T**TS and it might have to go, a friend bought a 328i at roughly the same time and he has only ever put petrol in it, Im thinking better performance with no break downs is it the right thing to do!!!!!.....

/\ He's suggesting the cylinder head gasket maybe on its way...which would cause a missfire.

But the fact that it runs ok for a while makes me think it would be either the leads/plugs/fuel pump/relay...

At least if you get a compression test done then that would put that one to bed.

Have you tried unplugging each lead,one at a time, starting the car then using insulated pliers hold the lead on and listening to see if the engine runs any different? You can then gauge which cylinder is causing the missfire.

Like i said i had the same problems for 2 weeks over Xmas (with no fault codes) and did all the above for it to be 2 dodgy leads and one dodgy plug.Even one of the new leads i bought was faulty! I'm currently running a mixture of old and new as i dont want to disturb things!

Chris

Are yes I see zorro thanks for that, will get a compression test done straight away.

The cylinders that stop firing are the one nearest the driver and the the right hand front,

Its never had a head gaskit in 108,000 but its dose have full VW service history.

I have checked all the leads and there all fine, have swapped the offending cylinder leads but no difference after 10 min,

This started coming down the motorway after about an hours travel at a steady 80 ish, it just dropped to 4/5 cylinders then trying to fire back on 6, I stopped for a coffee then it started fine then after 10 min missing....

• 1 month later...

Have you checked your cooling system...levels, nothing blocking the rad, correct oil, what air ilter are you using? Check the colour of your coolant too.

It sounds like compression issues (headgasket) or pre detonation from overheating as it only happens after it's been used for a while.....just my opinion.

Does it constantly misfire till turned off?