turbo and super charge questions

i been looking around and reading what i can but still im none the wiser. im after a weekend driver with just a small gain in power initially.

is it possible to use something like an eaton super charger from a mini with custom mounts and pipe work

or can i use a small turbo like a garrett t3 from an rs turbo or a cozzie t4 (i can get a new one of either for free) or a ihi vf 28 or 35 (again a good used one for free) or even 2 small turbo's should i feel the need to expand

these ideas are just initial budget build ideas at the moment and any advise would be really helpful as i need to do all the work myself to save money. and im guessing from my questions im probably way of the mark with my choice of bits. i was reading on here about a turbo conversion for under a grand and wondered if a custom supercharger conversion would be easier/cheaper as im only after a smooth 250bhp tops

but how hard is it to then plumb everything in? and obviously i'll have to get it mapped at stealth or somewhere. and would a t3 be enough for just a little bit of poke? im not after monster power as the misses will be driving it as well and she'd kill herself.

rs turbo t3 may be to small..cossie t4 would be better... you can run around 6 psi with no intercooler.. but id still budget for arp headbolts spacer plate, and a begi fmu..then manifold and sme silicons..basically read my thread, and you ll get the idea.

yeah T4 is your best bet but If I were you get an intercooler from the start because you can upgrade easily then as it wont take you long to think........

"hmm I quite fancy more boost"

...like everyone does very shortly after they start driving a newly forced car, boost is possibly the most addictive thing on the planet!!!

ok so im looking at a t4 turbo. arp head bolts spacer plate. mani, front mount. oil feed and return. plus some tubing and silicon bits to make it up. also pardon my stupidity but what on earth is a begi fmu. minus the cost of a turbo how much can this lot be sourced for? im gunna be going ebay hunting and second hand parts initially just to get it running then upgrade a peice at a time.

as for wanting more boost i wont be going higher coz of the misses. unless i convert to obd2 and get one of them switchable map things

begi fmu is like a fuel pressure reg that instead of recycling fuel to the tank, forces it through the injectors, according to boost pressure, allowing you to use standard injectors

The mani is normally the dearest bit on that list, although I know someone that got one for £75 on ebay, just to try it out (itll more than likely crack I would think but you never know) If you put the google work in I reacon you could pull it off for £700, especially after xmas

Try and find a USA shop that you can get most of it from and save on shipping, make sure you get a RHD mani, the inlet pipe can be a custom silicon job, but I have seen them made from stainless and mocks ups done with the cardboard roll that comes in the centre of a roll of carpet and gaffa tape, then the local exhaust place hase made it up, the silicone coupler hoses used at each end

ultimatly you need to decide where you want to end up..

if you just want bang for bucks and no engine mods then somethiing like a stage 1 vf charger is the way ahead. Almost plug and play! That'll give you in the region of 250 horsies..... and then you can always upgrade as you go... keep your eyes open there are always group buys on over the year. alternately call NS racing or Regal and they will price it for you. Do it whilst the pound is strong and it's a good deal.

If you join up as a premium member (£10) there are a few guides and discussions on the pros and cons of each wa forward.

if you want to get to bigger numbers like 350+ then turbo is the way ahead. (or Rotex of course)

both will at some stage need some extra work to get larger numbers. upgrades on th pulleys/ oil coolers/charge coolers or the likes/ management/ exhausts/ manifolds/ clutch/ brakes of course/ the list grows...

hope it helps........

• 6 months later...

I have my turbo and Intercooler in a box awaiting the rest of my parts as the funds come but would this FMU fit the job or does it have to be a begi?? Only wanting to run on low pressure looking for around 230-250 hp...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S-MAX-HP1-1-1-adjustable-FPR-SMAX-FMU-universal_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1683Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem334b162cdbQQitemZ220303076571QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Its a fully adjustable one though........... I e-mailed the bloke yesterday telling him what I am planning on doing and he said "Thats exactly what it was designed for perfect for the job, this FMU was designed witha vr6 in mind" is he basically full of bull and trying to get a sale. He offered me other parts manifolds and intercoolers and so on, and said if I had any problems during fitment e-mail him............ I am just after a cheaper alternative to the begi fmu thats all trying to keep costs down a bit lol...

That is a 1:1 regulator as Kev said, It says it in the title of the auction and again the the main text.

The S-MAX FPR-101 is a great entry level fuel pressure regulator. It is a standard 1:1 rising rate boost dependent fuel pressure regulator.

Its basically the same as your car already has but is adjustable.

what about a 7:1 ratio such as this one ....... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-7-1-FMU-Fuel-Management-Unit-Regulator-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem3345b48a2aQQitemZ220212791850QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is new to me basic mechanics upto head gasket replacement I have completed but this turbo conversion I am not understanding the FMU business at all....... will prob just go for the begi to be safe.

dont forget to call people like NS racing etc etc as they have 2nd hand parts on their shelves aswell from time to time....

Cheers mate I was just on begi home page and $199 for the unit so thats not too bad really............. I reckon I could beat Jims £1k conversion lol as my friend owns a Large Nissan Breakers and he has supplied the turbo and cooler and plenty of piping lol so I am looking at Head Gasket will a standard steel one do or do I need a spacer .....

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/OnlineStore/Engines/VR6HeadGasketsSpacers/HeadGaskets/SteelRC105/SteelHeadGasketRC.html

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/OnlineStore/Engines/VR6HeadGasketsSpacers/GasketSpacer/StockCompression12v/StockCompression12v.html

and ofcourse ARP bolts

I Have stocck cams though aswell Jim. I was just having my fifth read of your thread trying to see deeper detail on the pics I will let you know when I plan to start this may be a couple of months yet to get all the parts together ................. So if you wouldnt mind answering a few e-mails when I do as I think the questions will be flowing lol ........... Planning on doing it over a long weekend Friday evening until Tuesday. I will have a mechanic on hand to help aswell. Told the Mrs u reckon she could be good for 300bhp and she said "Burried or Cremated Love" dont think she is too fond of the idea ;)

yeah no problems.

you want a metal head gasket , stealth racing do them, around 30-40 quid i think.

if you only want 250 bhp, then you could scrap the arp bolts, and spacer gasket and head gasket, and just run 6 - 8 psi on stock coompression with a intercooler....but the devil will get the better of you, and then you will only end up doign them bits.. over build it , to start with and it'll last a load longer

This is it I did a head gasket and changed piston rings in January on my last VR so the timing, removing the head and replacing it is not what has me worried. Its making sure I have all the new pipes connected in the correct places lol. I did head gasket with info I got from forums on here. So the plumbing from turbo to exhaust and turbo to intercooler then fuel lines to begi fmu and so in................ I know roughly but may need a few pointers on the day. So if I just use a SS gasket thats all I need no spacer??? ;) Cheers