ELECTRIC WINDOW MOTOR OR REGULATOR?

can anyone help please! only just got my vr6 and the drivers side electric window has never worked. driving home tonight i pressed the button and the window went down pressed it again and it went up then it went down, half way up again and then completely down and stayed down, i have just removed the regulator and managed to wedge the window up with a lump of wood! i just removed the motor from the regulator and plugged it back in to the loom and it operates forward and backwards no problem. the regulator shows no sign of broken or fraid cables. can anyone suggest wether i need a motor or regulator or any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I am also having problems, some kind git tried to force the window down while parked in Manchester.

This broke the regulator but the motor seems fine.

I bought a new regulator yesterday and fitted today but it when it reaches the top it sets back down to the half open position.

I expect this is something to do with it's anti-trap function but don't know exactly how this works, or how to now fix it.

I was able to edge the window up bit by bit under power until it closed so at least it's shut overnight.

Any ideas?

PS The 5 bolts seem to be located properly and the clip between the central crossed cables is located ok and pulled through the door panel.

There doesn't seem to be any special technique to lining the window up in any of the manuals and I've done similar things on 2 Volvo's, a Rover 400 and an Astra before without problems.

be careful,my regulator only lasted a few days before it decided to fall to pieces.i put this down to a very slight tight spot about halfway up.only advise i can offer is to calibrate the regulator as described by bigjobbo http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?256604.last but make sure everything is running smoothly first.also i have been told if you line up the clamps that tghten the glass to the reg with the 2 holes in the door (about three quarters of the way up) lower the glass onto trhe clamps at this point it should line up perfect.also have a look at this http://www.gtishrine.com/windowreg.php

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Both windows on my VR6 were broken when I bought it. The guy who I bought it off gave me new motors with the deal.

When I looked, both regulators (cable systems) were shot.

It is a common fault.

I bought two new regulators off ebay and fitted them. Its quite easy - takes about 30 minutes per side.

WARNING:- The after-market parts on ebay don't last very long, mine lasted 18months and both are broken again!! DOH!!