Whirring Noise when cold..what causes it?

Anyine else get this nosie first thing? - sounds like a noisy milk float :-p Once the engine gets luke warm it stops.

And any clues as to what it is?

I got told in the past that all VR's tend to do it, but i'm tired of it now and want to stop it.

Ta

Mine does this too and I believe it is basically the gearbox. The whole thing whines a bit until the oil is warm and has generally been thrown around all over the gears (non scientific explanation there).

I found that when I put redline MT-90 into the box it did a lot to reduce this noise but it also stopped syncro from working in 2nd and 3rd gears. So, I moved back to the recommended VW G52 synthetic gearbox oil (specced for the V6 4Motion gearbox) and put up with a little noise until for the first 2 mins of running and enjoy the benefit of syncro instead.

If yours is whining for much longer than 2 mins then you might want to consider changing the gearbox oil. If you do this I would strongly recommend sticking with the VW G52 synthetic rather than the redline stuff.

I know a lot of people rate MT-90 (and so did I before the weather turned colder) but there are plenty of posts on other forums where people have experienced syncro issues after installing it.

See the last three posts in this thread for more info:

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?241546

Hope that helps,

ip

I found that when I put redline MT-90 into the box it did a lot to reduce this noise but it also stopped syncro from working in 2nd and 3rd gears. So' date=' I moved back to the recommended VW G52 synthetic gearbox oil (specced for the V6 4Motion gearbox) and put up with a little noise until for the first 2 mins of running and enjoy the benefit of syncro instead.

I know a lot of people rate MT-90 (and so did I before the weather turned colder) but there are plenty of posts on other forums where people have experienced syncro issues after installing it.

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?241546

[/quote']

Strange how each box reacts differently to various oils.. My box was perfect until I tried the VW stuff during a service and found I couldn't select 1st, 2nd and 3rd without lots of physical force. Under advice from another VW forum I swapped to Redline MT90 and the box been perfect ever since. No noise with perfect gear selection. Even with tonights cold temperatures the box worked perfectly..

I would guess this has more to do with wear and that older gearboxes now have a variety of different tollerances. What works for one might not be best for someone else..