How to replace water pump?

driving home tonight and the coolant light flashed on, theres coolant all on the floor around the waterpump and over the splash gaurd so i'm thinking water pump, the big plastic pipe behind the pump has already been replaced.

i've done a search and read stories of engine out job and others jacking the engine up, how hard is it to undo the engine mounts? i also read that a mk4 pump is the way to go? chances are my local vw dealer won't have a mk3 one in stock but will probs have a mk4 one, is it r32 or 4motion? is it a straight fit?

any helps/advice/tips most appreciated!

Did mine using forum threads in just over an hour also replacing belt and tensioner - all parts from GSF for less than £100. Orig Mk3 pump had plastic vanes where replacement has steel. Just undo front mount and jack up under front of sump - still tight to get pump allen bolts out and tricky to separate pump from block - use a 1" wood chisel!!!

Good luck

sorted it tonight! i undid the front mount, one of the 13mm nuts sheared off, but it don't seem to do much anyway so no loss with that not fitted. undid the rear mount aswell, as i thought it might be hydraulic and may split to best to undo it!

not running yet though as the tensioner is nosiey but i've repacked it with grease so tomorrow it should be running again!

i got a mk3 pump from vw, it has plastic vanes like the original, i figure it's lasted 70k miles so new one should last a while yet!

• 4 weeks later...