anyone had their rear arches rolled? i'm looking to have mine done as since fitting my 17" rs4 reps the tyres scrub like a cheap hooker over bumpy surfaces! dont really wanna change the wheels kuz they look sweet, but dont wanna pay the earth for rolling either! ideally i would like the plastic arches taken off but that may require paint and allsorts doing as not sure what horrors i may find underneath. help please before it destroys the sidewalls!! &|

dont have any problem with the fronts at the mo, maybe when i switch to coilovers i will. lol....nice answer on the plastic arches.... i do think they look better without them tho, but i dont want to have to have a lot of paint work done, dont they have to be bonded back on anyway? and what about those nice highline bumpers, can you buy them primered in full new or not?

I think the trim just clips on but I could be wrong... you'll probably get away with some paint restorer and a good polish as long as theres no rust (only one way to find that out ;))

the colour coded bumpers came on cl & gl models and post 96 VRs... they'll be expensive to buy new but you should be able to get one off ebay or a breakers. You'll need the side strips as well

yeah, i bet a couple of arms would be required to buy some from vw, i just wondered if you could get them from euro or gsf or similar. side strips i would probably have to get done myself as i have a 5 door and finding the strips for a 3 door would be hard enough!

haven't tried gsf yet, but just rang euro car parts and the bloke on the other end didn't even know what a highline model was? didn't seem to know if they supplied the later bumpers either, getting back to me! bloody useless! i presume the side trims come smoothed ,allready to paint?

yeah i guessed as much having seen a few later cl/gl's with colour coded bumpers, so i figured they must make them somewhere! i have found a front one in bristol, allready painted but wont be much effort to get it sprayed i guess! just gotta find a rear one and deal with those arches now!!!!

I tried removing plastic arch trim but had a few problems:

1: paint was scratched underneath the plastic, where the arches edge had dug in. Paint renovator and polish was never going to work so i tried sanding down and repainting a small part, but the line remained under the paint. I think you'd have to get a body shop to do this properly.

2: Getting the buggers back on requires special rivets from VW which are cheap but you need a rivet gun, which i dont have. I just bought some plastic 'pins' and botched them in with screws.

3: i found plenty of side strips from cl/gl models in a scrapyard but they are all too thin to replace the VR6 ones. Make sure if you order some you get ones fat enough!

So my arches remain!

Whilst i was at it though the rotting sills came off, and was glad i did, cos there was a fair amount of rust under the bottom of the sills. Put a hole through there when i jacked the car up. Have had it all welded up now and rustproofed and it looks nice now without the plastic.