Gear box plate

This is an inspection plate that covers the bottom half of the bellhousing. It helps to keep the muck out of the clutch and flywheel. Not very serious if it is missing. I suspect when the gearbox was removed at some point it was forgotton about when it was put back together. Should be fairly cheap from VAG

ok, just looked on etka for you to try and get the part no's. but have a prob, it indicates that the part no should be the same as the ABF engine, which is 037 199 307, but the part looks a completely different shape to the one on my car. the one on mine looks like its 096 409 157b, which is for the auto box. anyone got a spare engine and box lying about so they can check the part no printed on the cover?

the two bolts that hold it on are N010 227 6

Its on the bottom of the bellhousing - its literally a piece of tin cover the inside of the flywheel - almost like a crescent moon shape :!

As others have said its not the end of the world - just means the box has probably been taken off at some point - new clutch/chains perhaps??

Pete.

went to see if i could get the part no off mine...problem, i can't jack the car up on my own as its too low at the front for the trolley jack to fit!

will try again when i have some help if someone else doesn't do it first. think the part no may be on the inside of the plate so it'll have to be removed to see it.