Hey,

So doing vr6 conversion into my 97 colour concept.All going well,the engine,wiring loom,shafts ecu etc are all in and its wired up.

Come across a problem though.

It wont start!

Iv been checking everything and have came up with a few ideas to what it could be but looking for some more views.Iv checked all the normal things like making sure its getting petrol,spark etc.

Its geting power to the coil and then passing it to the distibutor but its not going anywhere from there??The rotor arm spins but its not passing to the cap to then go through the leads to the plugs.

I have changed the leads,plugs,rotor arm,distibutor and also tried changing the coil.

When i go to start it you can here the starter motor turning trying to start.

I thought the gti immobiliser may be playing a part in it.The vr6 i took the engine from was 92 obd1 and didnt have an immobiliser like the gti.

I have just spent the last few hours going through all the wires in the fuse box with a wiring diagram but cant see any problems with all the Block connectors into the box.There are however a few wires,single pin ones not connected but theres nowhere in the box for them :s

Looking to see if anyone has any ideas?

You are right in thinking that the obd1 dizzy engine doesn't have an immobiliser and if you've replaced th entire loom and ecu - which you obviously have to - the GTi one will no longer be active. Did the CC have an after market alarm/immob as well?

Where did you get the replacement coil from?

Did you see the engine running before the conversion?

Thats what i needed to know.Weither the immobiliser would be active or not.So really i can just take it right out yes? The part round the barrel and the vw immobiliser box behind dash?

Yeh the colour concept has a cobra alarm built into it which is aftermarket.Could this be the problem if it may have been connected to the vw immobiliser or atleast passed through it?

All the replacement parts were bought brand spanking new from euro car parts.

Yeh i saw the engine running i even drove it.It was my mates which the chassis was bent and so i took the engine etc and scrapping the shell.

If it's not plugged into the loom / ecu anywhere it won't do a thing ;-) besides the standard immob allows the car to start and then kills it a second or so later.

similar with the cobra. unless you've wired it back into the loom how can it immob?

Numpty question to just cross the Ts and dot the Is. Did you swap the relays from the VR6 board or leave the GTi ones in place?

Clarifying things bit by bit here.Good to have folk to bounce ideas and thoughts off as me and the mechainic doing it are out of ideas.

Well that numpty question isnt so bad really as.....i havent changed the relays over i left the gti one....i shall go and try that just now.

I see what you mean about the cobra..if its not into the loom i put in for the engine and ecu it cant be cutting into it to stop anything i guess.

Ok so i changed all the relays and yeh i see what you say it would have needed to be different.The relays were different,so they are all in now.

Sadly still woodnt start.

Though i decided to make sure it was getting spark etc again.So i checked from coil to dizzy and yeh its getting to there.Checked from dizzy to spark plugs and it seems to be getting there too.Its not a large spark but still sparking.

Went around all the plugs and leads and tried to start it up.It tried more this time and i was getting the engine now to seem as if it was turning over.

Every few attempts it would seem as if it was going to start but then it tries and then dies.This may seem strange but i tried not having the leads and plugs into the block as tight as i dont have a vr6 lead puller/pusher and the looser they were it seemed to want to try and turn over.Meaning the lead was very tight onto the plug but the plug was loosely in the block.

Anyone any ideas?

Good point.Last weekend when the engine was going in me n my mate who did the conversion checked this.We took the inlet manifold off and put a piece of paper in to see if the injectors were spraying and they were.

However when you had the problem would it allow it to spray then cut it off?As this may explain.we only checked if they were spraying on start up but coodnt check if they continually sprayed.

How did you manage to resolve the problem?

Ok so tonight i checked all the spark plugs leads etc for all 6 sparks.The car is getting spark and in the correct firing order.

I also tried to get fuel to it by running a live feed to the fuel pump but this still did not allow it to start.

Im guessing the injectors are not opening to allow fuel to be sprayed and then lit by the spark.

Any thoughts?

Also just to clarify....My 92 vr6 ecu and loom do not have an immobiliser do they?