Insurance Hell! Need your help lovely VR6ers

Hello there!

Time to tap into the excellent knowledge bank on here.

Last Saturday, some scummy little chavs decided they wanted to steal my pride and joy.

This happened whilst me and my blokey were out shopping in Stockport. I'd parked my car on Heaton Lane multi-storey, which I thought was nice and safe. Oh no.

When I got back, the doors had been wrecked from the attempt to get in. Pished off is not the word :(

The insurance company, in their infinite wisdom....have decided they want to write the car off because it's 'uneconomical to repair' and have offered me the insulting amount of £1000!! Yeah right.

As of today, I'm vehicle-less because the insurance company want their courtesy car back.

Tell me, what would YOU pay for a mint 1995 MK3 Golf VR6 Auto, completely unmolested, with 81,000 miles on it. Sensible offers please.

I've got to now prove my car was worth more than a grand. Which I know for a fact it was. I've even got receipts for £3000 that I've spent on it over the past 12 months.

I'm very sad, very angry and at the end of the day, a victim of crime who refuses to be out of pocket! And I have NO spare cash to put towards a new vehicle.

All because of this, I'm going to lose BOTH my cars, because my 1968 Beetle, which I only bought 3 months ago is going to have to go to try and fund something else. It's not exactly designed for doing all the daily running around and jobs I have to go to work on.

I'm also not really in the position to source new parts, have it all done, resprayed, blah blah...I can't have a car sat on my drive that isn't secure because someone will have it away anyway and that will make matters worse.

Cheers peeps!

when mine got ht a couple of weeks ago i was told if wrote off i would get a courtesy car for 1 week only. luckily it got fixed. I realise you have recipts but with out agreed value they are wothless as you could hve an old banogr with £3000 wheels its still market value of car they base it on, start trawling autotrader for similair cars to show them the value of.

Sorry to hear that Helen :(

yeah it's dosent matter how much the reeipts are for - the best thing to do is to look for adverts which match your car to prove how much it is worth but even then I am not sure that they have to go with your valuation - i have an agree dvaluation with my insurance company, it cost me a bit more but well worth it for exactly this type of thing.

I've found at least half a dozen unmolested VR6's on Pistonheads all of which are over £2,500. I've arranged for the car to come back home because I reckon I can source the parts and get it done for less than their poxy £1000. I've given them a choice, they pay for it to be repaired or they pay me out the proper value.

Ah man, that sucks. Really sorry to hear about this Helen :(

Any insurance company are obliged to pay out enough to cover the cost for you to replace your car with another car of similar age / mileage condition. I can't remember the exact term / definition for it, but you should be able to find it in the policy booklet from your insurer. If you provide examples to show a similar replacement will cost you more than £1000 then they have to pay that out for the claim.

If they still don't budge, tell them you are going to write in to the 'FSA'. They will soon change their tune, as the 'FSA' charge insurers a ridiculous amount (something like £400 or £500) for every investigation they have to make, regardless of whether or not the insurance company are found to have done anything wrong!

Hope this helps and you get it sorted soon :)

Well, so far I have now managed to find an insurance company authorised garage (why oh why it didn't go there in the first place I'll never know) in Salford who will fit and spray me 2 new doors and replace the door cards with my leather ones etc etc... £360 + VAT

His mate is a locksmith who will make me 2 new locks for £32 + VAT each.

Raddo Dave is due round here later on with 2 new doors for me for the grand sum of £70.

A thousand quid to repair my car? Not ruddy likely! haha!

So, the insurers have offered me my grand, less salvage costs and my excess of £120, and will send me a cheque for £580.

I said try again.....remembering the valuer hasn't come back to me with a second offer! The £580 will repair my car alright, but because they insist on it being a Cat D write off my car has immediately lost 50% of its value now, it's going to be a bitch to insure in future and after all the crap they've put me through they can at least financially reimburse me as I have to buy my car back

I said to the assessor, if you can find me 10 VR6's for sale in the same nick as mine, then show me the ads and I'll bite your bleedin hand off! I also reminded him that just because I'm a girlie does not mean I am naive and thick and will take the first offer, and that I know chuff all about cars! grrr! He backed down a bit also when i said "I'm not a member of the VR6OC for nothing you know!!" haha!!!

When he comes back nearer to £2k on Monday (the absolute minimum I'm prepared to take) then we'll talk again!!!

What a whole load of stress and mither just for 2 chuffin doors!!!!!!! aaaaaargh!!

Thanks for your help chaps! xx

I had a car written off when I was 19 when a bus went up the back of me, they paid out £1000, I bought it back for £50, I repaired it with a big hammer and some underseal (I kid you not!) then spent the money on pissing it up over the summer :)

wouldnt it have been a better option to simply take the hit in the frist place and uhhhm...not informing these pain in the ass theivivg scummy insurers anyway, that way your car would have been done, nobody would have been none the wiser, and you could stop using that car park?

Easy to say when you have £600 in your pocket to spare to fix it up.

Which I don't! :( :(

That's really helpful of you by the way, to say stop using that car park. Thanks!.........

I don't live in Stockport any more, not since 9 years ago, and it was merely a shopping trip.

Any other enlightened suggestions, smart ass???

I had a 955 daytona triumph writen off, it was 4 months old and the insurance offered me £3350 less than I paid for it, I argued with them and told them to just get me a 4 month old same bike with 800 miles on the clock, or the amount they would need to replace it, I said I dont mind the money or the new bike.

They paid up in the end and I lost the excess and a bit of depreciation, so I still lost but not too much.

All insurance companies are rogues and need to treat people as they would like to be treated.

Good luck with the claim.

wouldnt it have been a better option to simply take the hit in the frist place and uhhhm...not informing these pain in the ass theivivg scummy insurers anyway' date=' that way your car would have been done, nobody would have been none the wiser, and you could stop using that car park?

[/quote']

You gotta admit though..........He's right!!!

feel sorry 4 u my brother got smacked by a tosser in a pickup truck driver on his phone when he was filling up in the end we gave up with the insurance company who pissed around for months nd got a boot lid from a scrappy u cud try finding a vr set of doors in mulberry?

wouldnt it have been a better option to simply take the hit in the frist place and uhhhm...not informing these pain in the ass theivivg scummy insurers anyway' date=' that way your car would have been done, nobody would have been none the wiser, and you could stop using that car park?

[/quote']

You gotta admit though..........He's right!!!

...........and I wonder why I hardly ever come on here anymore.

You've just answered my question! :@

Unhelpful, silly replies weren't called for.

why , should she have not told the insurance company. we all pay hundreds of pounds each year + other costs, and if i have a prang or someone damages my car to the extent it needs fixing, ill claim.

get your heads out of your asses guys, i cant guarentee you would be the same if it was your car