R32 standalone ECU

i'm gonna be starting my R32 conversion soon, but i want a standalone ECU as the R32 will soon be charged (6)

Storm have quoted me £1500 for supplying an Emerald ECU that will also be spliced into the engine loom, so all i have to do is attach all the engine plugs, power up the ECU, and off i go.

is there anybody else that people would trust to do this?? and anybody closer to Birmingham than Storm.

thanks

karl

karl where abouts in sutton you from? If u need a hand with anythink tools engine lift or wot not... wouldn't mind having a mooch at a R32 convertion

if i'm not wrong?? your on tamworth road, i think i have seen the red mk1 parked down there. i'm actually on the st georges barrack estate. i will let ya no when i start it though.

Karl' date=' stick with the Storm boys they have done quite a few.

Are you mapping with or without the charger?

[/quote']

yeh i probably will be going with the guys at storm Alex, to start off i will be running it N/A then when some funds allow (soon) then a certain bigger charger will be getting fitted.

£1500 sounds a bit steep to me, although if it includes the ECU, the map, Alfa throttle, 1 bar map sensor and a pre-terminated R32 loom, that's pretty reasonable :-) Professionaly made looms are bloody expensive!

Also, you need to find out from Storm if they are using coil per plug or a VR6 wasted spark coilpack as it changes the wiring completely. I doubt it will be coil per plug as you need sequential injection for that, which tuners seldom bother with.

You'll also need a GOOD wideband to help with accurate tuning. The best I've seen in the sub £500 price is the PLX devices M300, or AEM UEGO.

Personally, I think it's critical you extract every scrap of techincal info from Storm in case you run into any problems afterwards. You need to get intimate with that standalone ;-)

hi Kev,

yeh the £1500 does sound a bit steep?? but it does include the emerald ECU, with a base map on it so the car will start/run, and then i can drive it down to them so they can get it on there rollers for some fine tuning. i have already got the alfa TB for a tenner from a local scrappy.

i'm also pretty sure the loom will be pre-terminated,

i'm popping down there next week so i can have a proper chat with them, so will also ask about the coil per plug kev.

cheers

karl

034 Motorsport can supply a Drivebywire to Drive by cable conversion kit but its 600 dollars so maybe better off with a used Alfa one.

They also supply EFI standalone management systems.

dont worry Alex, there will be pics galore. Along with loads of swearing, blood, and tools been thrown everywhere.

why do we do such things???

karl

and i have just read about you asking if i have bought the charger already, and yeh i bought it from TTS ages ago, but its going back and being replaced with another model, just gotta make my mind which model to go for??

I think Andy at Storm is trying to get Anders at Rotrex to make a C38-91 if you want to wait a little! Its an expensive pulley set up if you put the charger underneath though. You will have the more traditional option also.

DSC_2259.jpg

DSC_2258.jpg

DSC_2252.jpg

DSC_2157.jpg

Thanks to John for hosting the photos, hope you dont mind me putting them on here!