Had something of a near miss a couple of weeks ago that required heavy braking from speed around a car that had stopped in the fast lane of a dual carriageway... :@ just missing the kerb and barrier on the inside lane... literally just.

Anyway...

Since then I've had a vibration coming from the front passenger side wheel when turning right at anything over 50mph through the steering wheel that sounds and feels kinda like driving over miniature cats eyes.

Had the wheel off and nothing looks out of place.

Thinking I've knocked the wheels out of alignment or something while braking + steering hard??

Thoughts would be good and appreciated.

Just wondering. . . . . . how do you know what driving over miniature cateyes feels like?

Err, fair point- more what i imagine it to feel like...

Do you have cats eyes in Norway?

Maybe you dont and you think that i'm talking real cats eyes as in the feline version! ;)

The cat's eye is a retroreflective safety device used in road construction and was the first of a range of raised pavement markers. It originated from the UK in 1933 and is used all over the world.

It consists (in its original form) of two pairs of reflective glass spheres set into a white rubber dome, mounted in a cast iron housing. This is the kind that marks the centre of the road, with one pair of cat's eye showing in each direction. A single-ended form has become widely used in other colours at road margins and as lane dividers. Cat's eyes are particularly valuable in fog and have proven to be remarkably resistant to snow plough damage.

A key feature of the cat's eye is the flexible rubber dome which is occasionally deformed by the passage of traffic. A fixed rubber wiper cleans the surface of the reflectors as they sink below the surface of the road (the base tends to hold water after a shower of rain, making this process even more efficient). The rubber dome is protected from impact damage by metal 'kerbs' - which also give tactile and audible feedback for wandering drivers.

The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Halifax, Yorkshire in England. When the tram-lines were removed in the nearby town of Bradford he realized that he'd been using the polished strips of steel to navigate.[1] The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the light reflecting from the eyes of a cat. In 1934, he patented his invention, and on March 15, 1935, founded Reflecting Roadstuds Limited in Halifax to manufacture the items.The name Catseye was their trademark.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.

Jacked the front of the car up as high as i dare and looks like there's some play in the front wishbone rear bush so it does look like that is the issue.

Take it bushes need to be replaced as a pair?

How much of the front suspension needs to be taken apart to get at it? *-)

Right spoken to a mechanic type mate who can't do it but reckons its easier and cheaper just to replace the whole wishbone?

After some ringing round, local stealers lived up to their name and Gsf had the better deal and the only one in stock locally- just need someone to do it sharpish as its getting really wooly and vibrating more.

yeh gsf and euro car parts are dirt cheap for stuff like that got a pair for my mk2.it was a nasty shock when i bought a pair of poly bushes and they wouldent fit because the bushes in them were slightly bigger.was left thinking not such a good buy after all.