Advice on Making engine stronger and more bhp!

Right it's getting to the point of doing engine work to my vr now i've done all the body work etc.

I am going to turbo it, and will most probily be using the strickly dubs kit. By doing so i would expect there will need to be uprated parts on my stanard engine, as i want it done properly.

At the mo my car has done 102000 miles so was thinking about looking for the 2.9 v6 or just another 2.8 with less miles? i would then want to do as much to the engine as poss, so the engine alone is stronger with more power before i attach the turbo.

The other reason behind getting another engine is that it can be worked on a bench so that i can still use my car.

thanks

I guess you could start with getting all the gaskets, friction bearings, and apr headbolts. Then maybe rods, pistons and lower comp gasket. A service on the top and timingchains done.

I would get a gearbox rebuild from SQS and an LSD diff.

Then a big juicy cluch.

New enginemounts and polybushes all around.

With a nice turbo i think your car would be ready for some 450bhp with that setup. Correct me if I am wrong.

Personally I would not have bothered on doing TO much whith the engine. I would have gone tor the headgasket, arp bolts, and SQS gearbox with diff. And a new clutch. And the morormounts. Timingchains should allways be done. Then I would have aimed for 400+ bhp. Think thats gonna blow your mind away. And if your engine breaks, just put all the stuff over to another engine:). I dont think it would break tough!

IF your building an engine from scratch then use forged pistons, this just builds more safety into the build. Going to 2.9 or bigger is only really required if the bores are marked. Although alot of piston companies only seem to produce 82mm or bigger diameter pistons now. Going from 2.8 to 2.9 under boost wont produce any noticeable driving difference.

Fitting Steel conrods depends on your power goal. standard rods will hold over ~500hp.

A good health standard engine with a spacer plate will hold 400hp with ease.

Unless you want to spend out on an expensive gearset your limited to 350 lbft of torque which Kev sees with 400hp. Anymore than that with a turbo and standard gearset, I reckon you are on borrowed time. My only regret was not to fit Schimmels 263 cams.

Mine was dynoed with standard cams and 5 good cylinders and the headgsket leaking and it made 345hp on Sunday. Apart from the slight gasket failure its almost bullet proof.

Just make a list dude:

Timing chains

Headgasket

Arp´s

Big ass clutch ACT or something

C2 turbokit or another one.

motor/gearboxmounts

LSD diff

3" exhaust

Oilcooler

(gerbox rebuild) If u have the $.

Downhill skiingsuit. (less drag)

Then boost 14 psi and you should get just over 400 reliable bhp.