vr6 conversions... now complete with pics

but wheres the fun in that?

exactly, and seen as how the car is modded, it makes sense to me

the car in question already has this done to it.....

full brake upgrade

coilovers

full s/s exhaust

vento front end conversion

full electric/heated bmw e46 convertible seats

full bare metal respray with some colour coding and smoothing, good condition still.

i have a donor car with 55k on the clock and aircon but i wont be fitting the aircon to the valver.

once this has been done it paves the way for an R32 later maybe?

but wheres the fun in that?

exactly' date=' and seen as how the car is modded, it makes sense to me

[/quote']

2nd that.. once you've sent money on a car your going to loose it swaping cars...

How long it takes depends on if you've done it before or know what your doing.. Ive done my brakes subframes and surpension on a 4 stud and was done in about 5 hours..

Getting the engine and box in ontop of that should take about 2-3 hours but then you've got the all the wiring, fues box and clocks ontop of that which probaly takes abit of time

Oh and keep the 16v box to rob the final drive out of it.. Or aprently you can bolt the VR bell housing onto it ;)

the fuse box and clock wiring is the same for both cars i think.

and seen as how the 16 valve already has a hydraulic clutch, it should make things a little easier.

i've got a little experience with engine swaps, i converted an 1100cc uno to full turbo spec in my youth lol

put a mk3 golf gti 8 valve into a mk2 a few years back, converted an e36 bmw 325 to an m3 and a couple of fords and lancias in between so i'm handy with the spanners a little.

You should have know problems then.. Think you still need the clocks from the VR as the rev counter works different to a 4 pot.. Lucky ****** Ive got to change the pedal box in mine as it cable :-( .

So it looks like all you need to do is bolt the engine box in and plug the engine wiring loom into the back of your fuse box. Plug your clocks in. plug ecu in and maybe change the key-barrel for the chip in the key to work with your ecu??

16 valves are 5 stud anyway arn't they? So i recon you will do it in a good 8-10 hour day.. Maybe need to change the fuel pump?

Oh and keep the 16v box to rob the final drive out of it.. Or aprently you can bolt the VR bell housing onto it

so could a vr6 box be bolted to a 16 valves bell housing and used on a 16v motor?

Im guessing so.. Never done it myself but ive hurd people say they do it..

well its done and took me about 40 hours. frontanglecar.jpg

included in the fitting was a sump gasket replacement, full service (obviously) on the engine with new gearbox oil and fitting the 2 looms from the vr to get full functions from the fan and the option to fit the aircon later if i want.

vr6in2.jpg

just need to tape the 2nd loom up on the drivers inner wing as the covering that vw used has totally gone.

only issue was a poor idle/stalling problem due to dirty icv and throttle body, easy fix and it was ALL well worth the effort, absolute joy to drive, shame its not mine :-(

yip, as above, the loom is the hardest, especially if you fit both, tricky to get out without slackening off the servo, even harder to get back in but not impossible.

fit the loom(s) before fitting the motor.

fit the power steering pipe from a vr as in my case the 16v one blocked the oil filter housing (the one with a banjo fitting onto the pump that runs along the front.)

vr6 power steering bottle was slightly different to the 16 valve one, looks like a non vr6 type might hit the selector, not 100% on that but it was different.