After a lot of hair pulling my VR is running ok now but it has a strange squeak coming from the right handside of the engine which sounds like i've hidden a cricket/grasshopper some where under the bonnet and its kind off hard to pin point where its coming from. I thought cam chain or tensioner to start with but its not that sort of metallic chain noise . It follows the revs up to a certain point and then disappears but comes back a low revs and you can only here it from outside the car. Other than that the car is running fine?? :S

Not overlly noticable but just annoying me! ;)

Anyone had anything similar or any ideas??

• 1 month later...

After a lot of hair pulling my VR is running ok now but it has a strange squeak coming from the right handside of the engine which sounds like i've hidden a cricket/grasshopper some where under the bonnet and its kind off hard to pin point where its coming from. I thought cam chain or tensioner to start with but its not that sort of metallic chain noise . It follows the revs up to a certain point and then disappears but comes back a low revs and you can only here it from outside the car. Other than that the car is running fine?? :S

Not overlly noticable but just annoying me! ;)

Anyone had anything similar or any ideas??

Yeah ive notched this on mine,although i can hear it inside the car,it's like a a faint noise almost like a door opening,also when ive stopped car and opened bonnet,theres a clicking sound coming from the right side of the engine where al those cables go into,but car is running fine and its been like it now for 2 weeks.

sounds like a valve or something.

I had this.... 2 things I can think of:

1) evap canister valve made a funny noise when it was disconnected - this is drivers side wing though.

2) right side of the engine bay along the front of the scuttle panel had a valve that was making a funny noise, and it would amplify the sound off the surrounding bodywork it actually ended up being an air leak in a pipe, once I fixed, it was fine. not sure why it was causing the valve to mess up.

may not be the problem, but you can easily see that it could be something totally obscure :)

Pete

you don't have a family of mice in there do you?????

Sorry other than that no idea.....

Lol,well i'm not going to worry,because it only does it now and again,i rang VW and they wanted it for the morning at a cost of £80 to test it it lol,theres no chance i paying that!! because really i dont think its that bad,plus i just changed my plugs and one was almost out!! hahaha all good now though ;)

sounds like a valve or something.

I had this.... 2 things I can think of:

1) evap canister valve made a funny noise when it was disconnected - this is drivers side wing though.

2) right side of the engine bay along the front of the scuttle panel had a valve that was making a funny noise' date=' and it would amplify the sound off the surrounding bodywork it actually ended up being an air leak in a pipe, once I fixed, it was fine. not sure why it was causing the valve to mess up.

may not be the problem, but you can easily see that it could be something totally obscure :)

Pete

[/quote']

Ive checked all pipes and nothing,like i said it doesn't do it always and the sound is so faint,i'l just keep an eye on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had this, have you check your aux belt, the ribbed belts can make funny noise, just smear some silicone grease on both sides of the belt and it will stop if its that. It worked for me and alot of the main dealers do it to quiet them down.